audio capture problem

Posted by Jeff Nelson 
audio capture problem
January 05, 2009 09:44AM
It seems like since the 6.0.5 update I can only capture one channel of sound.

I am capturing HDV via firewire and I have it set to capture both left and right tracks, mono, but I only get the A1 Mono track. I shot with 2 mics and so I need both tracks, but can't get it to work.

I trashed preferences, didn't help.

Any suggestions of what to try to fix this problem? Thanks.
Re: audio capture problem
January 05, 2009 03:10PM
do you hear both tracks on the tape (during capture and on play back from the deck)?

jeff
I shot with 2 mics and so I need both tracks, but can't get it to work.

are you saying that 1 mic was recording say person A and the other mic was recording person B?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: audio capture problem
January 05, 2009 06:49PM
Yes, I can hear both tracks through my speakers when playing back, and I can see on the camera (where I can also hear them) that they are both recorded and contain different sound.

Regarding the mics, I had one that was recording the general room and one that was being worn by a person talking. I can't get that right channel which has their voice on it, though it's there on the tape. FCP only captures the left channel now, and it's panned 0, as opposed to panned left.

Any ideas? Thanks.
one more piece of info
January 06, 2009 12:07AM
When I have the Log and Capture window open, and I click on Clip Settings, if I'm playing back the tape and I turn off Channel 2, I hear stereo through my speakers. That is, I hear Mic 1 through the left speaker, and Mic 2 through the right speaker.

But if I turn off Channel 1 (and have Channel 2 on), I hear nothing. Nada, even though on my camera I can see that channel 2 has sound on it.

It's as if it was recorded in stereo on Channel 1 in left/right stereo, and nothing was recorded on Channel 2. But on the camera, I can see left/right levels going differently.

What the heck?

Is this a camera problem, do you think?? Why would FCP only pick up one channel of sound, even though it's putting them left/right??
Re: one more piece of info
January 06, 2009 06:59AM
1. Double check the settings on your deck/camera.
2. Try capturing with another camera.
3. Also, is your camera supported by FCP?

[www.apple.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
January 06, 2009 09:55AM
1. I put the tape in another camera, can hear left/right playing in speakers just fine.
2. Tried capturing that tape in the other camera, same thing -- only captures Mono (a1) -- the left channel. No right channel captured, though I can hear right channel played back in right speaker while capturing.
3. Yes. Have captured lots with both these cameras for the past year-plus, only started having this problem in the last couple months.

Now here's a REALLY WEIRD thing. When I capture using the "mono" setting, I get channel one only. When I capture using the "stereo" setting -- it shows it's capturing, but it's not! It doesn't actually capture anything. It's says "capturing" and when I hit ESC to stop, no clip shows up. It won't capture if I click "stereo!"
January 06, 2009 10:14AM
Just curious. What happens if you select "capture audio to separate files" (it's in capture settings, under "scratch disk"winking smiley. Will it record track 2?

www.strypesinpost.com
January 06, 2009 10:34AM
> FCP only captures the left channel now, and it's panned 0, as opposed to panned left.

Not really that much of a difference in terms of what you are capturing.

When you capture "Dual Mono" (aka "un-ganged" discrete channels), it captures that specific track (in this case track 1), and when you insert it into the timeline or load it in the viewer, the pan will be centered. Both tracks are still recorded by FCP as separate discrete tracks.

When you capture "stereo" (aka a pair of stereo "ganged" tracks), both tracks are "stereo linked" to each other, and track one defaults to the left channel, track two defaults to the right channel.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 06, 2009 09:43PM
You wrote:

>"capture audio to separate files" (it's in capture settings, under "scratch disk"winking smiley

Nope, still only captures Channel 1.

Something definitely funky with FCP here. Not the cameras. It will NOT capture Mono 2, and won't capture when I click "stereo."

Only thing I've done lately (other than automatic updates of FCP) is install FX Factory plugins, but those are video not audio plugins. I am really at a loss here. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
January 07, 2009 03:10AM
Does it work if you toggle off the audio preview during capture?

Also, try it on another editing machine/software.

Switched firewire cables?

Then, clone your drive before doing these:

Try doing a combo upgrade (available as a download from the Apple website), just in case the last upgrade was a bit botched.

If that doesn't work, then you could try uninstalling any 3rd party plug-ins related to QT/FCP.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 27, 2009 11:39AM
Jeff,

Did you ever solve this problem? I'm having the same issue (although from a standard resolution camera)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics