Final Cut Pro w/Sony XDCAM

Posted by ludaka 
Final Cut Pro w/Sony XDCAM
January 05, 2009 07:00PM
I am in desperate need of some assistance. For weeks I have been trying to resolve this issue! Hopefully someone can help. I have two files on a hard drive from a Sony SxS card. The folder is slugged BPAV. When I open FCP 6.0.5 and then import using Sony's viewer 2.7.1, it reads the files and then crashes! What am I doing wrong? I am using a PowerMac G5 2gig. with OSX10.5.6.
Re: Final Cut Pro w/Sony XDCAM
January 05, 2009 10:14PM
I think you got good advice when you brought this up the first time.

I don't know anything about G5's so I can't rule out any problems you might be having there.

That BPAV folder that is on your hard drive has a file structure within it that FCP does not recognize. It is not a good idea to drag and drop these folders from the SxS card to a hard drive. The Sony XDCAN Clip Browser software copies the and makes sure that the BPAV file structure is correct.

One thing you might want to try is to use the Sony XDCAN Clip Browser software to copy the BPAV folders to another hard drive. Doing this should insure that you have a "good" transfer." This suggestion is to rule out any problems with the source material. Be aware that you do not try to transfer the BPAV folder itself, you transfer the folder that contains the BPAV folder.

Once you've done that use the XDCAM Transfer software. WITHOUT FCP to convert the BPAV into Quicktimes that FCP will recognize. If it crashes at least you know that it has nothing to do with FCP. The Sony software works very well albeit a bit clunky to figuire out.

I don't know if this is true but it might be possible that the Sony software only runs on Intel Macs. A freelance editor who has edited several XDCAM projects for us has no problems editing XDCAM footage natively in FCP 6.05 on a G5.

I hope this helps.
bj
January 05, 2009 10:39PM
Sony Clip browser works only on Itell Mac'sl
January 06, 2009 12:10PM
You need an Intel Mac. I use the Sony Log and Transfer plug-in. Works great!

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
bj
January 06, 2009 12:29PM
Can't spell Intel, must have been the beer.
Or its a word i hate to use.
January 06, 2009 11:07PM
First update XDCAM Transfer to 2.8.

Make sure those BPAV folders are each inside another folder. Name can be whatever you want. Don't rename the BPAV folders themselves. Each should be in a separate parent folder though (of course).

Try opening the the files in that version and tell me what happens ASAP.
January 07, 2009 11:59AM
Thanks for the reply. I have version 2.8, and the files are each inside another folder (separate from each other). I open the transfer app, it finds the files, and then after about 10 seconds it crashes. Here's my latest theory. I've heard of issues with Quicktime. I've read that versions above 7.3 have had problems with this transfer app. I'm running 7.5. Could it be that Quicktime can not convert and crashes? I am also using the Flip4Mac plug-in that converts WMV files. I'm just throwing out ideas, as I've tried everything else.
Thanks again for your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics