jagged edges on stills and graphics?

Posted by 3than 
jagged edges on stills and graphics?
January 09, 2009 01:16AM
Any tips on importing clean graphics and photos? I often get rough edges. Today it's with text in a .psd
Other times its a terrible flicker on moves on photos that end of gaussian blurring a whole bunch.

Thanks!
Re: jagged edges on stills and graphics?
January 09, 2009 07:01AM
Ditto.. get it also sometimes when using after effects imports. Flicker filter sometimes helps.
January 09, 2009 07:41AM
Flicker is handled by the flicker filter in most cases.

the jaged edges you see can come from a host of things but the first to look at is the font itself.

fonts should be at least 3 pixels wide (especially on dv footage). a font like impact i believe is 5 pixels wide at 36pt. a font like georgia is 2 pixels wide at 36pt.

If you are looking at the font on your computer screen and seeing these rough edges then don't trust it. If you are looking at an ntsc external monitor it's a true representation.

doubling/stacking (layering the same text over itself) the font sometimes helps but is not a fail safe. if the gaus blur is more than 1 then you need to generate the text another way.

TRY the text gen in fcp to see if its the same result. or motion and live type

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
January 09, 2009 07:48AM
oooooooo forgot the stills.

this depends on resolution also. if you have to enlarge the picture past 110% you are helping the problem. It better to just have the stills at at least 1024x780. flicker filter will help a little here also.

the faster the picture moves the more of the yuck you get.

i prefer the soft blur to the gaussian when it comes to stills. Gaussian seem to be more over the pic while soft blur seems more in the pic to me.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
January 09, 2009 10:32AM
>Other times its a terrible flicker on moves on photos that end of gaussian blurring a whole bunch

How large are your stills? You need to scale them down in Photoshop to the size which you will be using in FCP (and also add a slight blur on it to thicken out certain lines so they don't flicker on interlaced monitors) as FCP isn't very good with scaling, also it helps you reduce your render time.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 09, 2009 05:00PM
Cool. Good stuff. Thanks guys.
January 11, 2009 02:55AM
One trick I've used over the years is to go to the settings in the sequence menu. choose "none" in the upper or lower field render first.

Using FCP since 1.0 when Avid users would laugh.
January 11, 2009 05:19AM
>Using FCP since 1.0 when Avid users would laugh.

Avid users are still laughing... angry smiley Because you're doing it wrong! That's a video format you're talking about, and that isn't a render setting. That's a field dominance setting.

If you're working with interlaced video, keep it at "lower" or "upper", depending on your codec (and this would be set by the preset you selected), and if you're working on progressive footage, choose "none". Setting your sequence to "none" if your footage is interlaced, will deinterlace your footage.

And you need to watch your work with a proper broadcast monitor.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 11, 2009 12:11PM
strypes you always bring up a tid-bit that i think is really interesting.

DV 30p that is simply drug from the viewer to the TL-

Does fcp auto switch to the 'none' field dominance when it asks you " would you like to conform the TL to the footage " or do i have to go and set it?

and

if i have not set it what's the difference?

this maybe a new thread so if need be move it and title it ''30p field dominance'' or something.

""""
January 11, 2009 12:50PM
FCP automatically sets it for most HD formats (or it could just be tapeless formats), but if you shot progressive, and it defaults to interlaced, set it to progressive.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics