Working with DVD source material

Posted by Nick Baer 
Working with DVD source material
January 12, 2009 05:35PM
I really like DVDxDV and MPEG Streamclip.

Since I make video for web and DVD, not broadcast, 99% of my workflow includes burning raw video to DVD, and using DVDxDV and MPEG Streamclip to make files for FCP.

For those of you who have never done this, or have older DVD burners (the ones that are like VCRs where you play from the camera and record to DVD), or are considering a workflow like this, I'd like to share a recent experience.

I bought my first tapeless consumer HD camera. I chose the SONY over the Panasonic - because SONY made a neat DVD burner called DVD Direct. A little bigger than a external DVD drive with built in monitor. Turns out, all it can do is burn a proprietary format - NOT aVIDEO_TS. So I took it - the burner - back to Fry's.

Went home with a Panasonic set top DVD recorder, but it was defective, and they had no other Panasonics left. Then went home with a SONY. Never again!

SONY set top DVD burners now "protect" the DVDs they create! They do make a disc with a VIDEO_TS folder, but when you put it in your Mac, it shows up on the finder with that pesky red "-" sign, saying you do not have permission to see it, let alone let DVDxDV and MPEG Streamclip work with it!

The secret is, only ROOT can! So you need to go thru the steps to enable root login, and multi-user switching, or log out as you and log in as root. Since DVDxDV is registered to "me", I can't run it as root, so I wind up copying the VIDEO_TS folder to a drive as root, then switch back to me to run DVDxDV to extract the .mov.

That's a few painful extra steps - particularly because my Internet is AT+T Wireless, and when you log out you quit the application, and when you switch, it stays running but somehow loses it's mind and loses connection to OS X. So Mail goes berserk.

And of course all the Apple caveats about being root. I thot I'd share my tale - a 4 day trial and error experience - that maybe an admin here might edit up and add to the FAQs.

Anyway - AWESOME video! For a $800 Handycam. 3cc HD, to SD internal memory, SD card, or miniDVD. 8GB SD card at HQ = 1 hour. 8GB SD card $50, same as 10 miniDV tapes, yet I can use and reuse, like I have in my DSLR camera for 9 years!

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
Re: Working with DVD source material
January 12, 2009 05:41PM
The first time I encountered the red '-' in the finder mount list, I went on Google and searched for others who had the same encounter.

Sure enough, I found a discussion from 1 year and a half ago! That was where I learned how to work around.

I am looking for the reference.

January 13, 2009 06:19PM
Nick,

I just wanted to comment on your workflow: why are you burning clips to DVD before you edit them? In a word, that's CRAZY. You're basically downconverting and compressing everything and then you have decompress again on the other side to import it -- and there's no reason to do that. You're introducing a whole level of compression into your footage that is completely unnecessary, even for web video. Especially with the new tapeless media formats, all you need to do is Log and Transfer the raw footage from the camera. If you're trying to save space, all you need to do is bring a hard drive with you when you shoot and dump the footage off the cards to the drive. You can import the footage from the drive later on, even without the camera.

JK

January 14, 2009 11:07AM
Sounds like someone is a slave to parochial convention and tradition.

One man's craziness is another's clever innovation.

DVDxDV and MPEG Streamclip are fine products, that I learned about here, and in the case of DVDxDV, purchased thru here.

I'm pleased that I can galavant around the countryside, shooting and editing and authoring, with two hands and one Jeep.

With a camera, a DVD burner, and an iMac, I have workflow that has produced 100 retail items on Amazon.com and 300 hours of streaming.

I'm very happy that these tools allow me to free my iMac from the not so multitasking process of digitizing video in real time. How great that my $1300 iMac can do other things, while my $140 burner is burning raw video to disc; which the iMac then can export to .mov, while multitasking e-mail, box cover artwork prep, web updating, etc.

True, it isn't a million dollar studio that churns out car commercials in HD for an audience that no longer buys new cars, or going-out-of-business ads to run on the CBS2 newscasts, that are shedding anchors and reporters at an equal pace with store closings.

But my workflow is great for the democratized medium of one-man one-voice web information and entertainment.

January 14, 2009 11:21AM
I think it's less a case of being "a slave to parochial convention" than it is a case of "Wow, you're really treating your footage like @#$%&. Don't you love your footage? What did your footage ever do to you?"

As film-and-television professionals, it's our responsibility to be aware of things like the fact that going from DV to DVD imposes a chroma subsampling conversion that severely degrades the footage. It's our responsibility to know just what each format conversion step in the pipeline does ? like what it actually does to the footage, technically, and what we're losing in that step. And it's our responsibility to incorporate as few "this degrades my footage" steps in the pipeline as we can get away with. That's what separates people who do this for a living from youtubers.

When somebody gives you workflow advice, they're trying to help by sharing their knowledge of the craft. That kind of sharing helps both the giver and the recipient, because the recipient learns something, and the sharer gives somebody even smarter and more experienced an opportunity to step up and say "Well, actually."

Cowering behind high language about "democratized media" counts only up to the point where somebody looks at your product and says, "Wow, that really looks like ass."

January 14, 2009 11:30AM
Oh, PLEASE!

That dictatorial elitism is so sick.

January 14, 2009 11:37AM
It's not elitism, man. It's professional experience. It's not "you must do this." It's "this is better and here's why." But hey, whatever works for you. If you want all your shots to come out looking they were filmed with a piece of muslin over the lens, go nuts.

January 14, 2009 11:42AM
I'm inclined to agree with Jeff Harrell here.

The fact is that going through video DVD is an unnecessary step here.

As for "democratized media", would you want your car mechanic to be a self-taught person who doesn't know the danger of smoking a cigarette near your gas tank, or would you want a meticulous, experienced professional who doesn't cut corners? Why should audio/visuals be any different?

I self-taught music recording, producing and arrangement, and there are times when I do say, "I don't have this equipment or that equipment and I can't do this or that". But if an experienced audio engineer were to tell me "This can improve your sound quality without buying $20,000 worth of equipment", it'd be foolish of me not to listen. And there's also the fact that in this case I'm the end client.

If burning to video DVD produces quality you're happy with, so be it...and if your clients are happy, so be it. Just know that if the client takes the same footage to someone who properly processes it, and you do a side-by-side comparison, your video quality will get creamed and you'll lose the client.

Some technical gaffes can be compensated for by creativity and concepts, but the fact is, if you have the creativity and concepts, why settle for a third-rate workflow that automatically puts you at a disadvantage? And why be so obsessed about speed that quality goes down the drain? If your post-production schedules don't even allow for proper copying/conversion/capture of footage, then your schedules are the problem, not the work protocol.

www.derekmok.com
January 14, 2009 11:57AM
LAFCPUG loses a lot of value as a resource, when divergent experiences are denigrated.

January 14, 2009 12:16PM
Sorry to hear you say that, Nick. But that's democracy. We're not going to censor you -- say, remove your posting because we disagree with it. But three of us at least are disagreeing with you and we're going to have our say. And if somebody else feels your work method is great and s/he would recommend it and implement it, by all means feel free to say it in here as well.

This is, at the end of it, a troubleshooting forum. For my purposes (I shoot DV -- because I'm not known primarily as a shooter), if I were to work with another editor who ran my DV tapes through a video DVD and then gave me back clips that have lost two digital generations, just because he "didn't have time" to capture those tapes properly, and if he never got my approval for using this approach, I'd stop working with this editor. To me that would have been a step in his workflow that qualified as "trouble" and needed to be improved if this editor were to do any of my projects again.

www.derekmok.com
January 14, 2009 12:23PM
Remember all posts on this forum are directed to everyone who reads the forum not just the poster. So when there is a diversity of opinion it only makes the forum stronger. Some may agree with you but others won't. But lets not get defensive. All that needs to be said here has been said so lets move on.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 14, 2009 12:29PM
Your judgements about the process I developed because LAFCPUG showed me the abilities and value of DVDxDV, are political opinions.

Just because some people here are highly frustrated over time and dollars invested in keeping up with, and leapfrogging, competitors in a highly emotion driven competitive arena, is not a reason to justify their method over any, many others.

I can tell you I've made more money off of a project shot on VHS tape in 1998, than the second best project shot on a DV8 in 2003, compared to the dismal returns on products shot on 16:9 HD.

The story comes first, the method comes second.

January 14, 2009 12:40PM
I work for myself, by myself. My process is for me, by me.

My sales have incremented steadily over the years. My sales have not downturned in the current economy.

My "friends," who produce "similar" products, who have wrestled with technological changes in more expensive ways than I have, tell me of severe downturns, beginning as far back as 2006.

One size does not fit all.

January 14, 2009 01:03PM
I hate dong this but can only see this going back and forth and not saying anything more of value. So lets close this thread.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics