OT: It's time to start paying attention to iMovie

Posted by Michael Horton 
OT: It's time to start paying attention to iMovie
January 24, 2009 01:17PM
[tecnotur.us]

There are some wonderful ideas in this new version, some of which might find their way to Final Cut. Or maybe not.

Watch the entire demo by FCP creator Randy Ubillos

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: OT: It's time to start paying attention to iMovie
January 24, 2009 01:32PM
Heh heh heh...expect to see 50,000,000 "travel maps" pop up on YouTube videos soon. And for us that feature will be made obsolete almost instantly by virtue of familiarity breeding contempt.

Some effects templates (eg. picture-in-picture, slides across screen) with user-editability would be nice in FCP, though. And I think Motion Paths (ie. Motion Favorites) in FCP need fixing.

www.derekmok.com
January 24, 2009 02:03PM
I'm not talking about the templates that are included in this. There is much more to see here then travel maps and photo frames. Skimming is a brilliant idea (introduced in iMovie 08) which I hope finds its way into final cut.

There is a bold shift here and I really like some of the ideas.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 24, 2009 04:22PM
OK...I'm getting it. Now I won't struggle to edit my family home video.

HOLY COW!

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 24, 2009 04:27PM
Maybe it would be nice if Apple put as much effort in developing the professional apps as they do the consumer ones.

Its more likely that FCP functionality will find its way into iMovie than the other way around.
January 24, 2009 05:26PM
I agree with Mike. This move by Randy to provide that level of postproduction capably to the home user, should indicate that a revamp for the fcp may be forthcoming.

I wouldn't object to having the Browser having a combination of the look & some of the functionality of Final Cut Server plus skimming. I find the ability in Leopard to current access Coverflow from the Browser quite useful. If Randy's implementation of smoothcam is more streamlined in iMove 09, I would hope fcp's version would benifit as well.

Dave
January 24, 2009 05:48PM
This is exciting...not for iMovie users, but for what could be coming for us FCP users.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 24, 2009 06:58PM
Well my guess is that the iMovie team doesnt talk to the FCP except maybe in the weight room on Thursdays, but yeah I hope the FCP team is taking notice. Some good stuff here.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 24, 2009 09:58PM
I wonder if the video stabilization function analyses the whole clip or just the part you used...

www.strypesinpost.com
January 24, 2009 10:10PM
I wouldn't object to having the Browser having a combination of the look & some of the functionality of Final Cut Server plus skimming.

Could not agree more, and for doco-style filmakers (100s of hours of footage), very useful. I like the skimming feature, too.

Cheers Mike, kl
January 24, 2009 11:20PM
re stabilization, unless I misheard, in the vid Randy says the entire "event" needs to be analyzed before you can do it (so much for the "all in realtime" bit)

the skimming is good, but we've been waiting for something like that since iMovie 08 haven't we?

the slowmo i noted still stretched the sequence duration ... when I zoomed in on the movie there wasn't enough detail to see if there was finally a checkbox to preserve the timeline duration!

it looks pretty and it looks slick though ... FCP has been showing its age for a while now, it could take a bit of prettying up and slickifying
January 24, 2009 11:26PM
When I played with it at Mac World it was pretty dang cool. Wish I had my copy already. It was easy to pick up after teaching 08 everyday for the last year. I like how the projects and media slide out of you way when not using them giving more room in the timeline.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
January 25, 2009 01:02AM
Using the Shift+CD+F (Reveal in Finder) in the Browser in FCP to bring up that floating finder window to preview the clips in the bin in Coverflow view & using the spacebar to review all the clips in the bin in a large window, gives a glimmer of the possibilities of what FCP could become if more of the Core Video & Core Animations capabilities of the OS were applied to FCP.

Dave
January 25, 2009 09:58AM
that "precision editor" thing is quite reminiscent of the way things were done way back in like adobe premiere 2.0 - i've said for years ho much i missed that...
January 26, 2009 03:23PM
SWEET
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics