Converting DV project to HDV

Posted by alanta 
Converting DV project to HDV
January 27, 2009 07:41PM
Thanks to all in advance!
G5 1.8, 2G RAM, Mac OSX 10.4.11, FCP 5.0.4

I have been shooting HDV on my Sony Z1-U since the day it came out, but due to the simplicity of my projects (and clients), I have always down converted to DV as I import, and finished my projects in NTSC/DV. I have kept all of my masters for this day, when I would re-capture in HDV and re-composite the projects in HDV.

Any quick advice for copying my browser info from the DV project to the HDV project so that I can recapture and then copy my EDL so that I can reassemble the same project without having to rebuild the entire thing?

Am I crazy to think this could be that simple?
Re: Converting DV project to HDV
January 27, 2009 07:47PM
Forgive me, but is your HDV 1080i60? DV-NTSC project is 29.97 & you can't mix frame rates or the earth will open up and swallow your house.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 27, 2009 07:49PM
That's if things go well. On a bad day, your edit system will come alive, kill you, eat your flesh and sew your skin into a jaunty hat.

On a really bad day, it won't happen in that order.

January 27, 2009 08:18PM
I'm not trying to mix anything. I am trying to recreate the project that was shot in HDV, but captured in DV/NTSC. I want to use the same ins and outs from my DV project browser to create a new browser in a new HDV project, and recapture everything at HDV. Then, I want to know if there is a way to copy my EDL from the DV/NTSC project to the new, HDV project, so that I can easily reassemble everything in HDV.

Was I not clear in my first post?
January 27, 2009 08:29PM
The process is called conforming. Traditionally what one does is combine an offline cut (that's your DV version) in Quicktime form with an EDL. But since you're onlining on the same system you offlined on, you have other options.

I've never actually done this on a Final Cut system before, but I'd try this sequence of steps:

1. Duplicate your entire project file. Store the backup copy someplace very safe.

2. Select all the shots on your timeline that you want to recapture, and make them offline. Don't tell Final Cut to delete the media files; you'll want to leave them in place in case you want to go back to your backed-up project file.

3. Change your timeline to ProRes, or whatever you want your finishing format to be. Change it from 720x480 to 1920x1080.

4. Change your "Easy Setup" to the appropriate one for capturing HD from your deck.

5. Batch capture your newly offlined media.

The trick is that you'll probably have to go through the timeline and conform your shots to the new timeline format. Final Cut's "conform to sequence" command is incredibly useful for this. But if any of your shots have repos on them, you'll need to conform them manually. That's just part of the conforming process, unfortunately.

Like I said, I've never actually done this myself in this way. I've done offline cuts on Final Cut that are sent to other systems for finishing, and I've taken offline cuts done by others into Final Cut to finish them myself. I've never offlined on Final Cut, then tried to conform an online using the same project file. But if I were going to, that's the procedure I would try.

Did I mention you should back up your project file first?

January 27, 2009 08:37PM
Shouldn't use EDLs, but it should be alright, haven't offlined/onlined HDV. It's called the offline/online workflow. Very common in the Avid world, less so in the Final Cut world...

The key here, is to use Media Manager. Here's a tutorial on it...

[www.kenstone.net]

Although it may be better to use MM to "copy", which will make a duplicate project, and trim the duration of the clips, then you make everything that is DV offline (shift D, delete from timeline), then switch timeline to ProRes HQ 1440x1080 (same frame size/frame rate as your final capture, which i suppose will be HDV, unless you're capturing via HD-SDI), then batch capture all offline items.

Been a bit since i gave this a pop, so I may not be right on the money on this. I remember that you may have to redo all speed ramped items. That, as well as all smooth-cam-ed clips.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 27, 2009 08:42PM
Very, very helpful Jeff and Gerard. I will post my results!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics