OT: Superbowl Commercial discussion...

Posted by grafixjoe 
OT: Superbowl Commercial discussion...
February 01, 2009 04:26PM
Hey Friends,

This topic may be moved, but I hope not. The Cafe is the premiere platform on this site and the Superbowl is the premiere platform for Advertising (in the USA). A record $200 million + has been spent on airtime (close to $30 Million per 30 second spot and they just sold the last slot this afternoon). I come from an Advertising background as most of you do so this day is a major source of inspiration for me and for our industry. Clients will be asking me to mimic successful Superbowl spots as they do every year.

That said, let's have some fun. We're about 30 minutes away from kickoff so lets hear from you. What are your favorites & why?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: OT: Superbowl Commercial discussion...
February 01, 2009 04:44PM
Don't get much superbowl here but here's some superbowl ads..

[jalopnik.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
February 01, 2009 04:58PM
How can you have the top Super Bowl ads and not include the Mac 1984 ad?
February 01, 2009 05:05PM

This is funny too...

www.strypesinpost.com
February 01, 2009 05:11PM
I loved the Lobster in the Chefs kitchen steal the Bud beer to stay alive from a couple years ago.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
February 01, 2009 10:29PM
Wow! Hell of a game. Who needed commercials?

Well no commercials will make legendary status this year, but I did like most of them. Favorites were the Hulu commercial with Alec Baldwin. Liked the Mean Joe Greene take off with Troy Polamalu. The Doritos ad with the snow globe made me laugh. Any commercial with a Clydesdale talking or walking makes me cry. Liked all the Bud commercials although none were as inspired as in earlier years. Well the one with the office guy getting thrown out the window was very funny.

Pepsi ads were quite good, but Bob Dylan? Yikes

Liked the Pedigree "adopt a dog" ad.

The E-Trade talking babies with the black baby singing was priceless. That damn baby always makes me laugh. This one doubly so.

The coke ad with the insects stealing the bottle of coke to share among themselves was wonderful.

But hands down the promos for NBC's TV line up were wonderfully clever and produced and the best interruptions of an otherwise wonderful game. Especially like the ones for Heroes.

Would of thought there would be more "green" commercials. GE was only one doing those. GE!?

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 01, 2009 11:16PM
> Would of thought there would be more "green" commercials. GE was only one doing those. GE!?

They do have "Greenzo" anchoring their eco-initiative!

www.derekmok.com
February 01, 2009 11:35PM
Sorry...nothing memorable other than the babies...well, and the Coke MEAN JOE GREEN remake. But the game was too thrilling to notice. I had to get up and walk around during the commercials.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 02, 2009 12:29AM
great game - even though the steelers played like ASS nearly the whole game... and still won.

i really dont quite understand how "brand" selling has superseded ADVERTISING in the last couple decades. im not sure how spending several million dollars animating a scarecrow dancing on powerlines helps sell "green" power... need some backstory here...

i realized long ago that the world i wanted to be part of as a kid, where adults were smart and made good decisions - simply does not exist. and is why at 3 days from 40, i refuse to be a grown up.
February 02, 2009 09:51AM

i realized long ago that the world i wanted to be part of as a kid, where adults were smart and made good decisions - simply does not exist. and is why at 3 days from 40, i refuse to be a grown up.

Well I hope you have a very happy immature birthday man er.. boy! - mine is in 8 days and will regress by approximately 2 years to be acting like a 17 year old... tongue sticking out smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 02, 2009 10:32AM
Anyway...

* The Doritos "Crystal Ball" was funny
* There was an E-Trade baby spot (golf related) before the game started that was really funny (Ad Campaign Of The Year IMHO)
* The Pepsi "Bob Dylan" spot was the only time I walked away from the TV (like nails on a blackboard).
* Hulu Spot - very funny. Alec Baldwin is great with comedy. Actually inspired me to go to Hulu.com on the iPhone. When is Apple going to put out an update to allow the FLASH Player to work in Safari on this device?
* The Ed McMahon / MC Hammer "Cash4Gold.com" spot wasn't bad.
* GoDaddy spots with Danica Patrick miss the mark. The original girl was kickin' IMHO
* The Coke Zero / Troy Palamalu spot sucked right up until the end - that was funny.

February 02, 2009 10:40AM
"When is Apple going to put out an update to allow the FLASH Player to work in Safari on this device?"

Adobe's working on it. They say it's proofing considerably more difficult than they anticipated.
February 02, 2009 11:08AM
grafixjoe
The Doritos "Crystal Ball" was funny
This was the funniest commercial... the rest to me was so-so....
February 02, 2009 01:18PM
You know as much as i get jumped on for topics like this. This should be moved to show and tell. This doesn't even have anything in the topic that relates to FCP.

No file formats.
No proof that the commercials were made in FCP
No round tripping
No data storage

Nothing of any use to a person who is learning FCP. Its more than OT.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
February 02, 2009 01:30PM
This is fine here for now. Sometimes off topic conversations such as this one is appropriate for the Cafe.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 02, 2009 01:50PM
I agree mike but when i have a color correction post that was moved to show and tell and then have a data storage question said to be off topic for the forum.

This type of post really pisses me off. Especially, when it is this poster that moved my color correction post to show and tell. Thankfully strypes was nice enough to answer it there.

I think its a great topic. But those who are posting and replying need to be fair when i post a OT topic also. You will not believe what i have been told was off topic.

If i were to post this topic, there are at least 2 people in this thread that would have scalded, moved or deleted it.

I Think if Color Correction needs to be in Show and Tell this should DEFINITELY be there too. OR maybe some just need to lay off of trying to attack Corbett a little bit.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
February 02, 2009 02:16PM
That is great news, Tom...wasn't even sure if they were working on it! Sweet.

...oh and I agree with you on the Apple SB Ad...one of my all time favs. That and the Budweiser "Wassup" campaign back in the day.

February 02, 2009 04:35PM
OK shameless plug sort of.

Although not a single person here mentioned it but my nephew was the little superhero in the Universal Studios commercial: [www.hulu.com]

Please go to Hulu and vote for it. I'm sure it won't win anything but hopefully he'll get more work.
February 02, 2009 04:54PM
YOu know, I actually liked that MACGRUBER add that had the actor that played MacGuyver in it (Richard Dean Anderson). Pepsi Ad using an SNL skit. But I like MacGruber...one of the few good skits SNL has to offer.

And yeah, the MC Hammer/Ed McMahon commercial was funny too.

Chuck, that was your nephew? COOL! Were he and the guy looking at him related? Because I swear they could be father/son. Well, if they were you would have said "that was my brother" or "that was my brother in law" or something.

Neat.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 02, 2009 05:12PM
Chuck I voted for your nephew. He had potential. I was moved by the leap of the bench and the cold stare into the office window. lol

My son use to love being on camera. Now, he only wants to do the fun stuff. If i can find it i will post his 'Video Rules the World' commercial. Non-scripted but very very funny.

The should have used Shane in his pimp suit for the Condom Commercial that strypes posted. He would have looked much cooler than the BonJovi look a like.

""""
February 02, 2009 05:57PM
I have a "pimp suit?"

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 02, 2009 06:09PM
I call anything thats cool retro/70's/leisure, pimpin'. Its a positive slang.

I was referring to the previous banner you had. It seemed as though you had the 70's collar on the shirt.

""""
February 02, 2009 06:14PM
Hey Chuck,

Dude...that was great casting...the older version looks EXACTLY like your nephew grown up. Nice spot.

February 02, 2009 07:06PM
Aww, none of those commercials are available outside the US. They've got a block on viewing for us Aussies.

February 02, 2009 07:31PM
Jude...you can't see hulu.com?? What the #@!! kind of country is that?? winking smiley

February 02, 2009 07:36PM
I can see it, it just tells me I'm not allowed to view any of the content. What the $&#*^% kinda rule is THAT? tongue sticking out smiley

February 02, 2009 07:46PM
Did you see the "Jude Cotter" disclaimer on the bottom of the page....eye popping smiley

February 02, 2009 07:50PM
It completely sucks. The Internet should be completely international. If you don't want your content available to everyone on the Internet, it shouldn't be on the Internet.

I will not use Hulu expressly for this reason, and I encourage everyone else to boycott it. NBC's use of Hulu and its restrictions are entirely antithetical to the principals the Internet is based on. If there was a oversight body for the net, NBC and all the subsidiary divisions of NBC Universal would be banned from using the Internet.
February 02, 2009 07:58PM
Um, does this mean you won't be voting for my nephew?
February 02, 2009 08:23PM
My guess is it would be to do with copyright. Like - they have copyright for the music in certain territories, but not others. "Others' being anyone outside the US.

I freakin hate copyright law. Creative Commons, work faster!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics