Range Check tool in FCP ??

Posted by mrshow555 
Range Check tool in FCP ??
February 08, 2009 10:48AM
I'm doing some quick color correction in FCP and had a question about keeping the video Broadcast safe.

I turned on the Range Check for Luma and am keeping an eye on the Waveform monitors etc... Now on some of the white graphics cards, my range check reads ! with a lot of the green zebra lines even after applying the Broadcast Safe filter (conservative). My waveform shows I'm under 100, but the Range Check is still ! so which should I go by?
Re: Range Check tool in FCP ??
February 08, 2009 10:54AM
The green zebra lines come up when you are between 90 to 100. Non-broadcast legal luma is above 100. I usually turn off range check and follow the scopes instead.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 08, 2009 10:54AM
I personally do not use the "Broadcast Safe" filter. It mutilates the gradients and makes chunky pixels appear. Useless filter IMHO. I use a combination of "Levels" and the "3-Way CC" filter along with the waveform / vectorscopes to pull down luma / chroma to legal levels.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 08, 2009 10:57AM
So even if I'm legal between 90 and 100, Range Check will still show up with a ! warning? So I shouldn't go by it?
February 08, 2009 11:07AM
When you get the green zebra stripes, it's a tick, not a "!" symbol. The "!" symbol usually means you are past 100 IRE/mWs, and it's yellow stripes.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 08, 2009 11:21AM
Right now I have a still video clip that has a lot of white in it, the Range Check luma has green stripes all over it with a yellow triangle and and ! symbol. I applied the broadcast safe (conservative) to it and it brought the levels below 100 on the waveform but the green stripes are still there as is the triangle. It goes away and become a green check mark after I adjust my white and mid levels, but I worry this is making my whites too grey. I haven't come across anything with yellow stripes yet.
February 08, 2009 11:31AM
>I haven't come across anything with yellow stripes yet.

Ah. i meant red stripes, with the yellow triangle and exclamation mark. My bad. Usually when it appears there will be a portion of the video with illegal luma levels.

>but I worry this is making my whites too grey.

How does it look on your broadcast monitor?

www.strypesinpost.com
February 08, 2009 11:43AM
> How does it look on your broadcast monitor?

It looks fine, I was just curious as which to trust, since the Broadcast Safe was supposed to be clamping the levels for me but the Range Check was still telling me I was too bright. I've heard some mixed reviews of the broadcast safe filter so I'll keep to the Range Check and Waveforms to be certain.
February 08, 2009 10:33PM
Slap the RGB limit plugin on your shot. I use that instead of Broadcast Safe.

Harry.
February 08, 2009 10:40PM
Even if your video isn't in RGB?
February 08, 2009 11:03PM
Yep. Works great. You'll see.

H.
February 08, 2009 11:41PM
Man, that's a hard clamp. Broadcast safe has softer roll off.
February 09, 2009 12:06AM
Well, yes. But I don't get any crap from QC.

Harry
February 09, 2009 12:14AM
The new V3 version of The Grading Sweet has a broadcast safer that seems to work a lot better than the standard onboard one. I think there might be a review coming on it, but from personal experience, it does the job properly in one click. It's called the 'Sweet Legaliser' and it claims :
"THE SWEET LEGALISER is the easiest filter you will ever use! It has no controls, it is either on or off and when it is on it corrects video levels to legal chroma, luma and black for broadcast."

My experiments have proven this to be true every time to date.

It's in the standard pack, not the pro pack.

[thegradingsweet.com]

I don't really use the FCP standard safer. Don't find it that useful.

February 09, 2009 10:00AM
I disagree with using any & all "clamp" plug-ins unless they are checked using the scopes. There is a "Color Correction" Window Layout that includes the Scopes for a reason. Use it.

February 09, 2009 11:38AM
>I disagree with using any & all "clamp" plug-ins unless they are checked using the scopes.

My point too. Run broadcast safe/limiters AFTER the shots are corrected, or you may end up introducing artifacts into your shots, not to mention unnaturally clipped highlights or crushed blacks.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 09, 2009 06:44PM
I'm saying that in all the instances I have tested these plugs in so far, they have been correct on the scopes, at least in PAL.

Sure, you wouldn't use them on a feature with a budget for grading. But for a fast turn around broadcast show, its quick and easy and accurate, with no kickbacks from the station.

February 09, 2009 06:52PM
"Broadcast Safe" may clamp levels, but it mutilates the information (at least it did to me). I tried it once like 4 years ago on a golf resort spot because I was in a hurry to make air (Uncompressed 10-Bit / 29.97 / NTSC sequence). The artifacts were clearly dancing around. I quickly deleted the plug-in and used the 3-way with the scopes. Took only a few extra minutes of high-speed CC'ing and it came out perfect. Made deadline. No sacrificing quality for speed.

February 09, 2009 06:54PM
*sigh*

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics