NTSC to PAL conversion issue

Posted by Barry Rosenberg 
NTSC to PAL conversion issue
February 09, 2009 04:47PM
Thanks in advance for any advice.
noticable
Here is the issue.

I am converting footage shot in NTSC DV to PAL MPEG 2 using compressor.

The main problem is the horizontal scan lines in the PAL MPEG 2 are very jagged and quite noticeable in some scenes and others are fine.

I assume there is some compensation for the 525-625 scan line difference.

Any suggestions on how to rectify this would be of great help.
Re: NTSC to PAL conversion issue
February 09, 2009 05:05PM
I would first convert this using Nattress Standards Conversion.

[www.nattress.com]

I use it everyday for footage to and from my Swedish counterparts... Works like a charm. I've never had a complaint from them.

Steve

FCPX
FCP 7.0.3
Premier CS6

MBP Retina 2.6i7 16GB / iMac 27" 3.4i7 16GB
February 09, 2009 05:14PM
I have had fantastic (but slow) results by outputting my footage to be converted from FCP6.03 to Compressor 3.05. The trick is you must activate the "Frame Control" settings within the inspector for the conversion you are working on. Once you turn them on, the "resizing control" and "rate conversion" settings have a very very satisfactory result, but again take a long time to render. Try setting to "Better" and see if they get you far enough along. "Best" really is best but jacks up the time tremendously. In fact test combinations of all of the settings until you find a combination that works for your specific material.

I suggest you process 1 challenging minute and watch how long it will take to render, then multiply that forward to the length of your show, then go on vacation. :-) A long long vacation.

Good Luck.

Brian Denny
February 10, 2009 08:15PM
Thanks..... The compressor Frame Control settings are the trick. The Best setting is slower than grass growing, but might just do the trick. Thanks again for the help!

Barry
February 10, 2009 08:47PM
FWIW...

Nattress standards conversion is practically as good as Compressor with everything set to "best",
but takes a LOT less time to process.

also, did you know that most (i'd almost say all) PAL DVD players & TVs will play back NTSC DVDs.
maybe you dont have to convert?

nick
February 11, 2009 05:40PM
Thanks for the info Nick.

The client is a Japanese mobile provider and they just want the MPeg's to their specs. Gotta love the fact if I was able to communicate directly with them I'd save a lot of time, but if it didn't take 12 people to put in a light bulb 11 people would be looking for work.
February 13, 2009 02:21AM
Nick,

Only Australian and NZ DVD players will play both standards natively unless you pay quite a lot more for a dual standards player in other parts of the world. This is why, going the other way, for my DVDs I have always had a standards conversion house (Video8 in Sydney) convert all PAL material (old SD days) to NTSC, because NTSC will play everywhere, including Australia and NZ. The reverse is not true, AFAIK.
February 27, 2009 04:22AM
HI everyone,

I am starting to use the Nattress plug in, and it is fast.

I wonder if anyone uses it too. I am converting DV / DVCPRO 720x480 to PAL , but the end result is a video that is PAL but looks like it is almost anamorphized, images get streched in the vertical direction.

I just looked for set ups in the control panel o the filter itself. If you know what I am doing wrong , just let me know , please.

Best, Eric
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics