change cut media with media manager??

Posted by Bret Latter 
change cut media with media manager??
February 13, 2009 02:30AM
I did a rough cut of interview footage to knock out all the dead space for the editor. Made two separate quicktime files from the timeline with the same in and out points. The only differant between the two is the sound mixing. So the two quicktime files should have the same time codes, just differant names.
We desided to use one of the quicktime versions and cut the piece with it. Now we have desided that we may what to use the other version with a differant sound mixing.

My question is, is there a way to just 'exchange' one quicktime file for the other using media manager or...? Again the piece is already cut. I assume that I'd have to do each cut individualy. But if I could just 'exchange' one quicktime file for the other, with having the same cut points already there, it would save alot of time.

Am I wishing for something that doesn't exsist?

thanks for reading my deadline stressed plee
Bret
Re: change cut media with media manager??
February 13, 2009 08:45AM
> I did a rough cut of interview footage to knock out all the dead space for the editor.
> Made two separate quicktime files from the timeline with the same in and out points.
> We decided to use one of the quicktime versions and cut the piece with it.

I think that was a bad decision. Never use a QuickTime export to edit with as your raw footage. You lose the original timecode, so your master tapes become basically useless for the purposes of the editing decisions.

You should have simply preserved the Sequence where the rough edits were done and based the next edits on that.

> My question is, is there a way to just 'exchange' one quicktime file for the other using media
> manager or...?

As far as I can see, Media Manager would be entirely the wrong thing to use here. There's no point -- you're not changing the Sequence codec (I assume File #1 and File #2 were exported using identical settings), you're not trimming, you're not moving any files.

First, backup your project file and both movie files to a safe place, untouchable by your operations as you work. Lock them if you have to. This will be an insurance policy in case you make any mistakes and alter/delete/corrupt the movie files. If you lose the files, you lose your edit.

Once your backups are in place, go into the Browser and find both QuickTime files. Give each one a Reel Name. Missing Reel Names can mess with media reconnection.

Now try disconnecting the project file's media from File #1 and reconnect to File #2. If they were identical in length, it may work -- but it's not guaranteed. Check your edits thoroughly and make sure everything is in place. If it is, then save the project file with a new name and proceed.

If editing decisions are jumbled, then trash the project file where you did the reconnection and restore it to the backup version. At that point, you may have to simply manually conform the edit done with File #1, and match it to File #2's sound mix by hand. Select File #1's audio edits in the timeline, disable them but don't delete them (CONTROL-B), turn on Timecode Overlays in the Canvas to spot-check the audio timecode of each piece, locate the In point in File #2, cut it in and replicate any effects and transitions using Copy/Copy Attributes.

www.derekmok.com
February 14, 2009 06:58PM
[I did a rough cut of interview footage to knock out all the dead space for the editor.]

Why QuickTime exports? Export when editing is complete.

Are you both working in FCP? Just give him the project file or an XML to import. He'll work from your timeline or a duplicate.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle Dynamic Trim with Command-Shift-D!

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
February 16, 2009 01:32AM
Thanks for the info guys. The powers that be desided to stay with the original audio so I didn't have to move anything. yea.

Thanks again for the help.

Bret
February 16, 2009 08:04AM
Here's another way -- though it would have needed to be set up that way from the beginning.

If you were truly adamant about using QuickTime exports to edit with, and the two versions only differed in sound mixes, you could have exported a QuickTime movie that had both sound mixes embedded on different channels. Not only does that save on storage space (one copy of the video instead of two), but when you edited with the clip, edit both mixes in and disable (CONTROL-B) the one you don't want. A bit more work during editing, but that way you have both mixes available and can activate either one with the touch of a button. Even if you didn't leave both mixes in the timeline, you could have used Match Frame to retrieve the other sound mix.

Still, as both Loren and I noted, using extensive QuickTime exports to edit with is a very bad habit.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics