Samsung DLP doesn't recognize MacBook Pro

Posted by Myles Connolly 
Samsung DLP doesn't recognize MacBook Pro
March 03, 2009 10:48PM
I have to make a presentation to a client and am trying to connect my 15" MacBook Pro to their Samsung DLP HDTV thru the VGA PC port on the back of the set.

The MacBook sees the Samsung as a second monitor but the Samsung is not seeing the computer.

A call to Samsung resulted in them telling me that "these TVs are configured for Windows and you should download a virtual Windows program and try that." Not all that helpful.

I have surfed the net and seen ample evidence of people connecting from the miniDVI using a VGA adapter to the PC port on the back of other Samsungs like this one. What gives?

Any and all help is appreciated. Free Baraka Blu-Ray to whoever solves the problem.

Thanks,

M.
Re: Samsung DLP doesn't recognize MacBook Pro
March 03, 2009 11:29PM
tried changing the macs res or refresh rate?
March 04, 2009 02:25AM
Is there no DVI or HDMI port?

March 04, 2009 08:13AM
Myles,

I have this problem every now and then with LCD Projectors when going straight DVI. I know it's not the best scenario.... but try going DVI to VGA and back to DVI.

Steve

Steve

FCPX
FCP 7.0.3
Premier CS6

MBP Retina 2.6i7 16GB / iMac 27" 3.4i7 16GB
March 04, 2009 10:55AM
Yeah, tried all available options (1080ix1920@60, 1080px1920@60) but still no luck.
March 04, 2009 10:58AM
1080, i wonder if that isnt the rub? are you trying to make the macbook appear as a video source?
March 04, 2009 10:59AM
I use a VGA cable from my MBP to a Vizio HDTV (selecting RGB INPUT on the TV menu)...it's razor sharp - no problems.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 04, 2009 10:59AM
There is an HDMI port but everything I've read online says that the VGA is the way to go. The HDMI puts out a picture that doesn't fit into the TV screen space properly.

For what it's worth, there are a lot of people who seem to have been able to simply plug in using MiniDVI-VGA adapter-VGA-TV.

I'm thinking maybe there's something not quite right with the TV.
March 04, 2009 11:01AM
No DVI slot but there is HDMI. I'm gonna give this a shot later and see if it's not an alternative.

HOWEVER...the TV manual clearly says that the PC option does not support HDMI.

Hmm...
March 04, 2009 11:03AM
No, I'm going in through the PC port on the TV (VGA) so not setting it up as a video source.
March 04, 2009 11:07AM
Thanx GrafixJoe, saw your post somewhere else along the same lines.

Here's my plan;

1. Get another VGA cable and see if that's not the problem. If not, then...
2. Try going into the HDMI slot and tweak the picture setting to get the right pic dimensions.
3. Find a different monitor.

Thanks for the help everyone!
March 04, 2009 11:16AM
...also check the connection of the DVI to VGA adapter coming off the MBP...could have a bent pin winking smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 04, 2009 11:18AM
for what its worth, over the years i HAVE seen SEVERAL of a variety of projector/panels that didnt enjoy mac input even though the parts fit...
March 04, 2009 11:22AM
Its almost always a resolution problem. 99% of the time the mac just recognizes the projector and sets the correct resolution it thinks it should be. If its not what you want, then you go into system prefs and futz with it in displays. That is when problems might occur. You pick one you feel will work than all goes to hell and you cant get back again. Not supposed to happen, but it does. Quite frankly if the projector has DVI and so does your Mac, that is the way to go.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 04, 2009 02:45PM
Thanks Michael. I'll keep working on it and let you know what gives.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics