Running Compressor as a client: FlipFactory style?

Posted by Mike Watson 
Running Compressor as a client: FlipFactory style?
March 05, 2009 12:59PM
I'm curious if you can run compressor on a server (or on any machine, really), where it would convert any file, any format, to an specified file format... but it would do it without human interaction.

Thoughts?
Re: Running Compressor as a client: FlipFactory style?
March 05, 2009 01:07PM
How will it know what you want to to unless you tell it to do it? Artificial Intelligence?

Sorry, not getting you. Do you mean AUTOMATION? Where you put media into a certain location and then Compressor senses it and does all the compressing without you telling it what to do?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 05, 2009 01:10PM
Artificial Intelligence?

I was more thinking that if I put a QT movie in a certain folder ("Inbox"winking smiley, Compressor would detect it there, and apply a certain pre-defined compression scheme to it.

Now that I look more, perhaps a droplet is what I need.
March 05, 2009 03:54PM
Yeah, set up your Preset in Compressor and save as a Droplet to your Desktop. Easy Peasy.

JK

March 05, 2009 05:54PM
Certainly you can Mike but not without some scripting
Compressor doesn't employ "folder watch" functions but OS X does. With a small amount of AppleScript or maybe just with Automator you can easily set up Compressor to apply a preset (droplet) to any files that are dropped in a certain folder, and you can do it for as many folers and droplets as you wish. Compressor itself has the ability to FTP files and/or run other scripts on completion .... lots of things you can do with a bit of scripting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics