Working in High Def

Posted by shelleyrae 
Working in High Def
March 06, 2009 10:27AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm shooting my first video in High Def using the Sanyo Xacti HD 1010. The project is a 3-5 minute video for a website and I will also be creating a promotional DVD for distribution.

What is different about editing in HD rather than standard def? Since the media is recorded to a card how do I capture the footage? Do I just drag the file to a capture folder or do I have to use the log and capture window?

Do I need to change my sequence settings before starting the project or will FC recognize it's HD and change automatically?

What else do I need to know? I'm hoping this is going to be a smooth trouble-free project so thought I'd check with the pros before starting.

Thanks for your guidance,

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Working in High Def
March 06, 2009 06:53PM
what format does this Xacti thing shoot? it may not even be fcp compatible...
Re: Working in High Def
March 09, 2009 01:21PM
It's the Xacti HD 1010 and it shoots Mpeg4 AVC/H.264 1920 x 1080 60i/20p.

I shot a little test footage and brought it into FC using my NTSC DV sequence settings by dragging the files from the disc to designated movie capture folder on my hard drive. I then imported the movie folder into FC, chose a clip and added it to my timeline.

It asked "change the sequence setting to match clip?" I said "yes" but now it's overscanned and I can't see the whole image as framed.

I tried it again and chose "no" to match clip to sequence and it came in and displayed the whole image as I framed it. Now I have to render the clip. It's a very short clip and took about 4 minutes to render. This is not a good thing if my finished video will be 8-10 minutes long. It will take me forever to cut this thing.

Is this a UNfriendly FC format? Do I need to convert the footage to a different format before working with it in FC?

Also, you should know that the final product is not really going to be played on high def only systems. It's just that I had the opportunity to borrow this camera and thought I'd test it out on this little project to get my feet wet with working in HD.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics