Recording macros in FCP 6

Posted by Myles Connolly 
Recording macros in FCP 6
March 10, 2009 03:25PM
Anyone devised a clever way to record macros for multiple key stroke tasks in FCP?
Re: Recording macros in FCP 6
March 10, 2009 04:52PM
yeah, buy a 3rd party app!

i use QuicKeys,
but since i bought that, i noticed a few others out there for much less money.
although i'm not crying over the 80-90 bucks i spent on Quickeys.

nick
March 11, 2009 09:16AM
Also Spark is free- not quite as flexible as Quickkeys but much free-er.

[osx.iusethis.com]

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
March 13, 2009 02:14PM
a Shuttle Pro will bring you macros also

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
March 13, 2009 04:31PM
doesn't the Shuttle Pro just trigger them?
March 13, 2009 05:25PM
well it's triggers the combination of actions (aka the macro) that you would have programed yourself, with the software utility that comes with the Shuttle-Pro on the required button.

of course it very limited compared to the tons of macro you can have at your fingers with a dedicated app. (Shuttle-Pro has only 13 buttons !)

for example : if I hit once one dedicated button the position bar on the Timeline will go back 3 seconds and play without stopping.

I remember years of editing on Avid, (I mean really way back) thinking every day I wish this would be possible

I have little dreams

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
March 14, 2009 04:09PM
Since we're on the subject... I'm trying out Quicksilver, but i'm new at this... How does this app launcher thing work? Is there a way to program it to open a file with certain programs (eg. choose to launch it with Compressor, QTpro or FCP at the stroke of a key?)

www.strypesinpost.com
March 14, 2009 08:23PM
One of those other apps would be Bouke's VideoMacro app ... somewhat no frills but it does what's needed and is only 10 Euro's : [www.videotoolshed.com]

Wish this was a function of the app (an ability to record or program macro's). I never worked with a linear suite edit controller that couldn't do it. Imagine ... (insert Alex4d's Sccoby Doo transition fro full effect) ... Trim Mark In: CTRL V, LEFT ARROW, X, SHIFT DELETE and Trim Mark Out: CTRL V, X, SHIFT DELETE

See? I'm easily pleased :-)
March 15, 2009 12:18AM
Noah! Dude... where did you find that Spark thingamajig? Its awesome. I'm not generally a big fan of third party background deamons running on my edit sysytem but for this I might make and exception. Have you noticed any issues with it that folks should be aware of? Any specific problems with the ProApps, any performance issues and the like?
Cheers
Andy
March 15, 2009 07:59PM
On the Sparks home page it states that version 3.0b9 works with OS 10.4.11, doesn't mention 10.5. Anyone tried it on Leopard?
March 15, 2009 11:30PM
seems to be working here Chuck ... I only installed yesterday but so far so good.
March 18, 2009 08:51AM
hey andy, cool macro.

i think macro sharing is a neat idea.

(woundn't it be cool if there was some sort of universal macro language,
so one app could share with another,
or if Quickkeys could "print macros"
of course i'm not sure these things DONT exist...)

here's one we use after syncing clips in the timeline:

X
option A
return
apple U
(pause)
down key
delete x 8
enter (or is it return??)
(pause)
apple 3
down arrow.

or in other words:

mark clip
select in-out (select clip)
open in viewer
make subclip
go to end of the subclip's name
delete the word "subclip"
go back to the timeline
and go to the next clip

(last step could alternatively be the first step)

there is a realy good reson Apple wouldn't include Macro recording in FCP:
macros are insanely susceptible to user error.
they can be like intricate domino sculptures that have to be set up just-so to work.
and if you have the wrong window selected when you set of a macro with "Delete" in it,
all hell could break loose, and your project could wind up eating it's own tail.

cheers,
nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics