FCP/COMPRESSOR workflow Question

Posted by drtuzi 
FCP/COMPRESSOR workflow Question
March 17, 2009 12:42PM
Can't seem to find documentation on how this actually works.

I have a half hour of HD ProRes. Sent the sequence to compressor where I did detailed MARKERS - for compression and navigation (stuff I don't want to lose).

Did a test encode of a small portion and spotted VIDEO typo in a lower third (that I have to fix in FCP.

How do I do this and preserve my markers? (should I have done them in FCP?)

Will Compressor automatically spot the changes in the source file and update the batch/job file? (It didn't seem to be catching it - there was a processing status window - but it seemed stuck on one frame - when I closed and reopened preview window in compressor - it didn't reflect changes I made in FCP)

Or do I have to replace the source?

Thanks!
Re: FCP/COMPRESSOR workflow Question
March 17, 2009 01:20PM
Have tried creating markers in fcp?

Are you encoding from a QT self contained .mov or from the timeline?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
March 17, 2009 01:37PM
from timeline - used compressor's preview window to set/edit markers and set in/outs for short clips to test settings.

Then I noticed the graphics typo - would love to not have to start over.

Haven't done FCP markers - but as I understand : FCP 6 markers are preserved in COMP 3, right?
March 17, 2009 04:30PM
yes they are.

when you say "stuck on a frame" that reminds me of why i do not go strait from the TL anymore. I normally go out to a qtsc then put that in compressor.

what may make it easier the second time marking is that you already have the TC points for the markers. Notice i am lightly saying that you will have to redo.

2 issues are happing on face value.

1. why is hanging on a particular frame? (could be in the TL's media) - try to export by other means to see if the problem reoccurs in that export.

2. is there a problem with compressor happening (especially in a export holding for command stage which is what you are in while marking) - using the qtsc in compressor will free its connection to fcp and will give it less to think about sorta.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
March 17, 2009 08:14PM
when you say "qtsc" do you mean a quicktime reference file?

So I guess the safest way to work would be:

1. Add markers in FCP timeline
2. Export>Quicktime>Current Settings> NOT self-contained
3. This becomes source file for compression-only job in compressor (FCP free to continue working)

Only question is - which I will test first - will chapter markers survive the journey (beginning in ProRes FCP timeline - ending in compressed h.264 - should work in theory, right?)
March 17, 2009 08:17PM
"QTSC" is LAFCPUG slang for a Quicktime movie that's conspicuously not a reference movie, which I think Final Cut's export dialog box calls "self-contained."

(Not that anybody asked, but I deplore the whole "QTSC" or "SCQT" thing. Quicktime movies that are not reference movies don't need a special name; they're just Quicktime movies. Reference movies already have a special name. But that's just me, being anal.)

March 17, 2009 09:39PM
lol

Yes, its a self contained quicktime movie. You can include all markers if you make these markers in fcp or you can import the movie to compressor to make your marks in compressor.

To test the markers just copy a section of you TL (1min or so) copy to a new seq and mark it. export the TL to a QTSC (Self Contained movie) then import to compressor to see if the markers survived. If they do survive go for the whole sha-bang.

""""
March 18, 2009 03:46AM
Gotcha - new jargon. I thought if it had a funky name, it must be something I didn't use everyday.

Bad news - markers created in FCP only seem to survive if job is sent from the timeline - I couldn't get them to hold up in any kind of QT export (maybe I'm doing something wrong - I checked "all markers" in the export dialog).

Seems kinda silly - that you can't place markers in compressor, and update the source if necessary (if the duration isn't changing).
March 18, 2009 04:00AM
hmm... It does update (per my original question) the typo fix is appearing in compressor preview

It's just irksome about it - and played dead for some reason

anyway - no lost markers
March 18, 2009 06:53AM
i am not sure if the prores422 codec has something to do with it or not but just do it in compressor.
Maybe jeff will chime in again. he has a lot more experience than i with prores.

""""
March 18, 2009 07:42AM
>i am not sure if the prores422 codec has something to do with it or not but just do it in
>compressor.

Marker tracks exist independent of the video codec. Not sure what you did initially, but they do survive when you export a SCQT and can be encoded into an H.64. You can check exactly which markers are being sent in the Preview window in Compressor.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics