ENCODING QT FILE ON MAC FOR USE ON A PC
March 19, 2009 01:53PM
We have a client who has provided us with 3 hours of video footage on 3/4" U-matic video tapes. The client wants us to encode each tape, uncompressed, to quick time. We have a Mac with Final Cut Pro and have successfully encoded them on the Mac but are unable to transfer the encoded files to the clients supplied Windows XP laptop.

Any suggestions on if and how we can transfer this file?
Re: ENCODING QT FILE ON MAC FOR USE ON A PC
March 19, 2009 02:38PM
>but are unable to transfer the encoded files to the clients supplied Windows XP laptop.

That's quite vague. You need to provide more details. If it is a matter of the file system on the laptop, where the client's laptop is formatted to NTFS, you need Paragon's NTFS for mac. [www.paragon-software.com]

If the machines are networked together, you can transfer files to the PC.

If the drive is formatted to FAT32, you have read/write permissions, but you cannot transfer files larger than 4 gigs or an error message will pop up, and the world will explode.

That's the gist. Just kidding about the last point.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 19, 2009 02:48PM
I'm not aware of an uncompressed YUV Quicktime component that's built-in to Windows. For that matter, there's no uncompressed YUV component that's built into the Mac OS, either. The uncompressed 8-bit and 10-bit YUV Quicktime components come with Final Cut Studio.

I think there's an old Blackmagic 8-bit YUV component that's available for Windows and the Mac, but I'm not positive. I don't have any Blackmagic gear here. But in theory, you could install that on the laptop and export the Quicktimes in that format on the Mac.

Of course, your client won't be able to play those Quicktimes on their laptop anyway. I can't imagine a laptop could ever have enough bandwidth on the system disk to play back uncompressed video, even 8-bit SD.

You have the option of using the "none" compressor, but you shouldn't, because it's RGB and not YUV. You'll end up with a gamma shift in your footage. "None" is one of those legacy compressors that Quicktime doesn't need any more but that's still there because, well, it's kind of cute, and nobody can quite bear to throw it out.

But a shiny new quarter says it's not gonna be a part of Quicktime X.

March 20, 2009 09:24PM
Yeah 3/4 to Uncompressed? There's probably not enough signal in 3/4 to make it worth the extra trouble. I'd go ProRes HQ, that has a decoder for Windows.

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics