Buffalo Technologies Drive

Posted by jbrokaw13 
Buffalo Technologies Drive
March 23, 2009 01:50PM
Has anyone heard of Buffalo Technologies and their external hard drives?

Another department did us a "favor" and ordered one of these for us even though we requested a GRaid2.

Any opinions or facts as to why it should or shouldn't be used would be helpful.

Thank you!
Re: Buffalo Technologies Drive
March 23, 2009 01:54PM
Never heard of it. Don't you love it when someone does the orderin' for you?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 23, 2009 01:57PM
They are known mainly as Ethernet drives...networkable drives. But only for IT stuff, not video editing.

The favor was a bad one. Tell them they need to return it and get a drive that is designed for editing video. Go for the G-Raid3...that eSATA screams!

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 23, 2009 02:00PM
Reminds me of the time last year that I spec'd out two Apple 23" Cinema Displays, showed up on the day and found two store-brand LCDs instead.

I have to confess, my reaction wasn't strictly professional.

March 23, 2009 02:19PM
Thank you!
March 23, 2009 02:30PM
>The favor was a bad one.

I second that. I've had to work off a bunch of these lemons, and in my limited experience (4 drives/arrays), they are worse than Maxtors, Seagates or WDs. 3 of them were P2 archival/back up drives which we manually mirror to drives of another brand. Out of these 3, one of them were sluggish within 2 months of usage. Reformatted that drive and within weeks, it was sluggish again (contents don't show up until after 5-6 minutes). We sent that back, and recently, another one of the Buffalo drives started having the same issues.

I've also worked off one of their eSATA RAID 5s, which would drop frames even on DV capture.

If you're using them for editing, stay away from these drives or any other brands that you can find at your local grocery store.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics