Clicks and Pops in FCP only

Posted by Jeanne Rawlings 
Clicks and Pops in FCP only
March 29, 2009 04:43PM
Hi - I'm a bit relieved and a bit panicky too. More panicky than not because I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO to solve the problem:

Importing perfectly good audio (shooting HDV1080i on premium miniDV tapes at 48kHz) into Final Cut Pro 6 and Final Cut creates clicks and pops in the track (intermittantly, on louder and mid-level signals).

I thought it was interference with wireless mics, bad hard-wire mic, or anything else, but I've done the tests. It's only HEARD AFTER importing into FCP.

Any advice will be invaluable as I've got a shoot coming up and I don't want to throw money into the wrong place (like renting another camera, microphone, an audio mixer w/external recorder...). Heck, I don't want to throw money anywhere if I can help it!

Yikes! Please help!

Jeanne Rawlings
Dustlight Video Productions

www.dustlight.com
o - 530-894-3808
c - 530-966-3504
Re: Clicks and Pops in FCP only
March 29, 2009 04:55PM
Generally clicks and pops are caused by mismatch between the clip audio format and the sequence audio format. So check your audio sample rate and make sure it matches audio sample rate in sequence settings.

Grab a bit of the audio on the timeline and do a Sequence > Render Only >Mixdown. Sound better? If so then its a sequence mismatch.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 29, 2009 04:57PM
And...first thing to check: Any MP3s in the timeline?

www.derekmok.com
March 29, 2009 05:01PM
I did that, and the clicks are still there. Information: My audio setup is Channel 1 is the wireless and/or lavalier mic and Channel 2 is the onboard Sony mic. Could this be the problem somehow?
March 29, 2009 05:35PM
check sample rates and do a mixdown. Have you done that?

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 29, 2009 05:51PM
No MP3's on the timeline.

Jeanne Rawlings

www.dustlight.com
o - 530-894-3808
c - 530-966-3504
March 29, 2009 05:55PM
You said only FCP has the issue, so I'm assuming if you played a clip in QuickTime, you don't hear the problem. Did you set FCP to play audio back using the same signal path? Do you get the issue playing back clips in the Viewer as well as the Sequence? Yes, Mike's suggestion is the most likely culprit right now.

www.derekmok.com
March 29, 2009 06:23PM
Thanks everyone: here are the answers:
a. Did the mixdown - still clicks and pops.
b. Sample rates are the same (Clip Properities: 48kHz 16-bit integer. Sequence Settings: Audio Settings: Rate 48 kHz, Depth 16-bit, Config: Channel Grouped)

Now here's more information:
1. I have 2 sequences in the Project, and Sequence 1, which is using the same media files, DOESN'T HAVE the audio clicks 'n pops problem.

But when I create another Sequence, media shot 6 minutes later has clicks in audio.

2. Further questions arising because of this problem - I guess I don't understand how to match "Sequence Setting" to "Clip Setting". I've got the one project and this is how I set it up:
Created my first sequence with Sequence Preset: DV/NTSC 48kHz.
Capture Preset: HDV.
Device Control Preset: HDV FireWire Basic
Playback Output Video: Apple Firewire NTSC (720 x 480)
Playback Output Audio: Firewire DV.

The Sequence Settings (in the timeline) show:
Frame Size: 720 x 480 (NTSC DV (3:2)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: NTSC - CCIR 602 / DV (720x480)
Field Dominance: Lower (Even)
Editing Timebase: 29.97
Compressor: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
Codec: Same as Sequenc Codec

Then the Batch Capture Window says:
Using HDV FOR VIDEO INPUT
DV-VCR using NTSC
24 bits per pixel
1440 by 1080
Using HDV for audio input
Input: 2 channels
Using logged clip settings for picture, gain and media to be captured
(Note: I don't see audio showing in the audio meters...but it comes through fine once captured).

Once I then put a clip onto the Timeline, FCP says "For best performance your sequence and External Video should be set to the format of the clips you are editing. Change sequence settings to match the clip settings?"

If I say "YES" - the clip goes into the Canvas shows the HDV footage across the whole screen, and it's not distorted. But the audio has clicks. IS THIS THE PROPER WAY TO VIEW THE HDV FORMAT? I'm cutting this little show for use on the Web.

If I say "NO" - the clip shows 16x9 frame cut-off, still isn't distorted, and it still has audio clicks. IS THIS THE WRONG WAY TO format for the Web?

3. Regarding the clicks and pops: I was shooting in the same room about 2 minutes later! With the same mic setup, same room noise, same person on camera.

Could this really be a low battery in the wireless mic transmitter or receiver? They WERE NEW BATTERIES.

4. Or, am I doing something wrong in the sequence settings?

Any insights will be tremendously appreciated.

I'm completely stumped - but since it may be some sort of wierd area in the room (literally, 3 feet apart...except the talent was moving around in a 6-foot circular area) - could you please answer my questions about whether I'm capturing my HDV properly, and if so, is it right to say "YES" when Final Cut detects a difference between the sequence settings and the clip settings? And what in the heck am I doing wrong that causes this to always be mismatched?

Gosh, thanks.
March 29, 2009 06:29PM
Dereck -
I have the clicks and pops in the Viewer, as well as when playing it back in QuickTime. BUT, again, I'm listening to the footage through the headphones directly from the source recording device (the Sony v1U camera) and - exact same footage doesn't break up. It is a perfect recording.

Wow!?? Now I take back the guess that it was the batteries, mic, electrical interference....the footage in the camera is solid (thank God).
March 29, 2009 06:39PM
I took the "problem" clip offline/delete from disk. I am now recapturing.
1. The audio meters do not show any presence of the audio.
2. I'm monitoring the audio as it is captured - it sounds fantastic.
3. I am praying.
March 29, 2009 06:48PM
NO CLICKS OR POPS on the second capture!

Jeanne Rawlings

www.dustlight.com
o - 530-894-3808
c - 530-966-3504
March 30, 2009 04:28PM
Not sure if your problem is solved? It would really help if you'd enlarge your audio tracks to show full waveforms. It's relatively easy to see if the "spikes" are hitting the roof. If so, there's a problem with your recorded audio (or capturing issue), if not it is related to problems with your audio setup
March 30, 2009 05:02PM
Thanks - it was a sample-rate mismatch, I believe, during the capture. I recaptured and the problem has disappeared. Thanks again Nicknasty.

Jeanne Rawlings

www.dustlight.com
o - 530-894-3808
c - 530-966-3504
April 21, 2009 10:43AM
Hello - I have resolved the "clicks and pops" issues with most, but not all of the clips. They are clean in the original recording. They are clicky after capture. When I go to capture I get "WARNING: You are about to capture Non-Drop Frame media from a device currently detecting or configured for Drop Frame media. If you proceed, you may experience changes in logged in and ou points, problems relinking media, or removal of master clip relationships." The QT file that is subsequently generated has clicks and pops.

If I switch Device Control Preset from Firewire NTSC (and an earlier capture using Firewire Basic) to FIREWIRE NTSC NDF and that warning goes away. But the captured clip still has these "scattered clicks beneath the dialogue".

Is there a way to bring this footage into a QT file without clicks and pops? I'm stumped.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics