Anyone else in Boston preparing for the Apple Certification FCP exam?

Posted by Anthony 
Anyone else in Boston preparing for the Apple Certification FCP exam?
March 31, 2009 04:23PM
Hey all, I tried searching for something along these lines but came up with nothing so I'm gonna try posting my own message in search of others who may be studying for the Level 1 (and beyond) FCP exam in the Boston area.

I originally learned to edit in film school using Steenbecks years ago (I dropped out) but I only started learning FCP last year at a local cable station. It was so amazing that I completed Boston Neighborhood Network's Basic Digital Editor certification and I went out and bought a Macbook Pro and FCS 2. Since then I've completed the Apple training book and have landed a job editing bonus content for an adult site while I learn. I think I'm almost ready to take the certification exam but I'm on my own here. I think I'm getting pretty fluent in FCP but it might help to bounce ideas and concerns around with others in this area who are planning to take the test also. Any pointers about the test would be appreciated too.

So anyone in Boston who is in the beginning phases of using FCP, or if you know of any study/preparation groups in this area, please get in touch.
Re: Anyone else in Boston preparing for the Apple Certification FCP exam?
March 31, 2009 06:19PM
Have you contacted FMC already?

[www.fmctraining.com]

or Boston Final Cut Pro User's Group:

[www.bosfcpug.org]

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
March 31, 2009 08:56PM
Hey thanks, I didn't know about FMC, I just knew of a place in Cambridge that offered the prep courses and exams. I'll call them about taking the exam after I've taken the online practice test. It'll probably be awhile before I can take any of the courses for Level 2 and beyond.

The Bosfcpug forum just leads back here, but I'll contact them to see if they can hook me up with some kind of study group or something. My friends are helping me out but it would be more insightful to get feedback from someone who's at the same stage I'm in and who knows what I'm talking about!
April 01, 2009 01:26AM
You mean the End User exam? It is based on the Weynand FCP 101 book. Just make sure you know that book and content inside and out and you should be good to go.

It will be a very anal-retentive standardize test. Think back to the SAT days.

Best of luck,

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
April 01, 2009 07:55AM
I have gone to FMC in Boston for a few classes. I highly suggest getting in touch with them. Even if it's just to "bounce idea and concerns around" with an instructor, not necessarily taking a class. The people there are amazing! Great programs.
April 01, 2009 08:55PM
The test will ask questions with no relevance to actual editing. It does not matter how well you edit, you're still going to have troubles without reading the book.

- Max number of video tracks?
- max number of audio tracks?

- etc...
April 02, 2009 02:31PM
I've already done the whole book by Diana Weyland and I'm actually going through it again for things I wasn't clear on. I can answer almost all of the review questions and I think I know most of the shortcuts. Is that enough? I know I can always take the practice test over again if I don't do well, but I want to pass it with pretty high marks. Do you think I should just take the practice test to see what I already know and what I need to work on, or should I take as if it were the real one?

Thanks, Laurie, I'll give them a call. It would nice to go through the reviews and flash cards with someone who knows what it's all about.
January 07, 2010 12:13AM
Okay, now that I've gotten my Level 1 certification, next comes the big question...

If I go further, say, towards a Master Pro certification, will it really mean anything to potential employers? I know a good demo reel is more important, but will having a certification help me?
January 07, 2010 12:19AM
no.
while certification can be great for your own personal benefit,
it means very very little, if anything, to employers.

TRAINING certification, and, i suppose, Master Pro certification can have some merit if you are looking for training gigs.

nick
January 07, 2010 12:20AM
> If I go further, say, towards a Master Pro certification, will it really mean anything to potential
> employers? I know a good demo reel is more important, but will having a certification help me?

As a teacher or trainer, yes.

As an editor, not a speck. Producers don't care about the certification; they care about your skill, experience, and reel. I've worked with editors who were certified and didn't know their buttock from their head, because one is inside the other. And I've worked with uncertified editors who were masters of the craft.

www.derekmok.com
January 07, 2010 12:43AM
Like the rest said...if you wanna teach, you need it. If you wanna work, means bupkis to an employer. Hiring Managers I worked for actually laugh at that stat on a resume because they think that when people put that on a resume, it means they think they are automatically qualified as a good editor. Nothing could be further from the truth without experience.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics