What still image to use in FCP ?

Posted by pbovee 
What still image to use in FCP ?
April 02, 2009 02:48PM
What's the best format to use when creating images in Photoshop for use in FCP with transparency. .psd seems to work fine but I'd rather not have it as a sequence.
Re: What still image to use in FCP ?
April 02, 2009 02:51PM
A TIFF can have an alpha channel, and you can still keep separate layers if opening it in Photoshop, but the layers won't show in FCP.

www.derekmok.com
April 03, 2009 09:42AM
Thanks Derek. I'm still on FCP 5.1.4 are TIFFs supposed to work in this version? I've tried but they just come in black.
April 03, 2009 09:45AM
TIFFs have worked in every version of FCP. There's either something wrong with the file, is it 8-bit RGB, or the way it's being displayed in the viewer, is it in wireframe.
April 03, 2009 10:01AM
OK, I'll check settings, just wanted to make sure it should work.
April 03, 2009 10:48AM
It is 8bit RGB is that right? When I import into FCP the part that should be transparent is white, but open that same file in PS and its transparent.
April 03, 2009 11:22AM
Was this file made on a PC? It has to be saved on a Mac for transparency to work in FCP.
April 03, 2009 11:56AM
No it was made on Mac
April 03, 2009 12:46PM
A PSD will import as a sequence but you can simply open that sequence and copy & paste individual layers in other comps and the Alpha Channel will be preserved.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 05, 2009 07:05PM
There is an option in the TIFF Save dialog-- a checkbox you should always enable-- Save Transparency. That should come in and clear areas remain clear. I always discard layers too-- another checkbox.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Fit Timeline Selection to Window with Shift-Option-Z !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics