Template for TV show

Posted by ajmax 
Template for TV show
April 08, 2009 01:31AM
Can anyone direct me to a place where i can get information on a generic template for a TV show?
If there is such a thing and place...
Need to create a TV program and want to see if there is a generic template/outline...
Hiring a producer is not an option.

Thanks
Re: Template for TV show
April 08, 2009 01:33AM
A template for a TV show? You mean how long is a half hour show and where to put the commercials? Need you to be a bit more specific.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 08, 2009 01:38AM
Length is not an issue, I just need to find out the basic formula.
Intro , middle, outro,, teases,etc,,,
is there a place that has a formula/outline, certain questions,,etc...
April 08, 2009 01:44AM
Hi,

You can find the basic formula by watching a TV Show like the one you're creating.
If you want some demos, Intros, Middle and so on, launch Motion and study the templates.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
April 08, 2009 02:03AM
You sound like you need a script writing site more than FCP editing...

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
April 08, 2009 06:14AM
I don't understand. If you're creating a show for delivery to a network, hiring a producer is always an option. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's pretty much mandatory.

More information, maybe? What exactly are you trying to do?

April 08, 2009 07:12AM
Yes I am looking for a site/ direction on where to find the template for me to do the producting/ writing.
as i mentioned in my original post. getting a producer is not an option.

Thanks anyway guys,,,
April 08, 2009 09:13AM
You have to be specific. ASAIK, there is no "template" for this. What you are talking about...IS Producing. In my experience, Editors don't plan out shows...they assemble them according to specs given them by a Producer. Editors need to ask all the right questions to give the Producers what they need.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 08, 2009 10:24AM
Yeah, the question is so broad that there's zero basis for answering it. We know nothing about your show.

What you're asking for is exactly what experienced producers and showrunners get paid to figure out. You're not going to get it by going to online sites.

Get a producer on board.

www.derekmok.com
April 08, 2009 10:28AM
Thanks Guys,,,
I have my answer,,,
no need to keep responding...
Thank You
April 08, 2009 10:35AM
Nobody was trying to be rude here. We've just been trying to help out as best we can, given the facts that it was a really open-ended question and also we all have full-time jobs and do this on the side.

I hope not getting the answer you wanted hasn't soured your opinion of the forum.

April 10, 2009 02:11PM
So, what was your answer? Just curious? I've worked on a couple tv shows and the specs were all a bit different.

A
April 10, 2009 02:19PM
There is no answer. There is no template...no such thing exists. Every TV show is different, and every network has different specs.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
April 10, 2009 09:21PM
There is no spoon...

April 12, 2009 02:19AM
Thanks for the response. I know no one was being rude, but my original post was asking for:

"Can anyone direct me to a place where i can get information on a generic template for a TV show? If there is such a thing and place...Need to create a TV program and want to see if there is a generic template/outline... Hiring a producer is not an option. "

I knew this was not the place. I just wondered if there was a place that existed and if you can direct me to it.

There was no need to keep mentioning that i needed to hire a producer when i mentioned, that was not an option.

I appreciate the willingness to help, but if you can just answer the direct questions as best as you can that would help. If there is no answer, then no need to try and second guess, especially when i stated what i was specifically asking.

Anyway, I created the template myself using the common idea of intro, middle, outro. Structured my ACT 1, 2 and 3 . Designed with teases and promos. Client was happy.

Best,,,
April 12, 2009 03:16AM
> Anyway, I created the template myself using the common idea of intro, middle, outro.
> Structured my ACT 1, 2 and 3.

Actually, TV shows don't use a three-act structure. Half-hour shows use a two-act structure; one-hour shows use a four-act structure. Half-hour shows are usually 21-23 minutes long, and one-hour shows are 41-44 minutes or so. Some shows are stricter on the timing than others.

If you want really general concepts like that, look for TV-writing books. I learned this stuff in TV-writing class in film school.

www.derekmok.com
April 12, 2009 03:20AM
Some hour-long shows use a 5 act structure...sometimes 6 acts.

There is no standard.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
April 12, 2009 07:33AM
Just to tweak what Shane said a little: there usually is a standard. It's just that each episodic show has its own. If you're writing a pilot or a one-off, yeah, you're on your own. You can look to other pilot or spec scripts for examples, but there's no set rundown to which to conform.

April 12, 2009 10:03AM

Anyway, I created the template myself using the common idea of intro, middle, outro. Structured my ACT 1, 2 and 3 . Designed with teases and promos. Client was happy.

...then you answered your own question and created your own "template".

Everyone DID answer your question - there is no template. Part of posting in this forum is you will get PROFESSIONAL OPINIONS whether you like them or not. Some of us who are highly experienced (like Shane, for example) has done a lot of narrative TV and when he posts that "there is no template / standard", that's good enough for me. Take the info or leave it...but don't tell the posters who give of their free time to stop posting. That is rude. Take what you need info-wise and move forward.

Good luck.

April 12, 2009 04:04PM
Thanks For the info guys,,,

Grafixjoe: I will take the info or not, but why just not answer the questions.
That's what these post are for right?
Why does there need to be added commentary?
Referring to the statement in the original post of "Hiring a producer is not an option. "

Then I get comments on that instead of answers.
All i wanted was a place to be directed to.
Most of the posters helped out by saying there is no one format.
That was fine.
There was no need for others to go any further on commentary...

I appreciate forums like this,,,but just answer the questions....
If further info is needed, I will ask ..

Anyway, Thanks again...
Best
April 12, 2009 04:22PM
Take a breath ajmax. No one owes you an answer, so don't demand one.

This thread is now closed

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics