Hard Drive disappearing

Posted by johnnyhmn 
Hard Drive disappearing
April 15, 2009 12:42PM
Hi,
With weddings I usually capture all media and photos before I start editing, but sometimes I get more photos, so if I switch my GL2 from VCR to CAM sometimes FCP6 stops responding, so what I do is, close FCP, then switch GL2 to CAM, open FCP and Log&Capture photos, then quit FCP, switch GL2 to VCR and open FCP again. The problem is that by this last step FCP stops responding and when I quit I see my hard drive(media) disappeared, so I have to restart my G5 to have the hard drive back on desktop. Any ideas, please. Thanks!

Johnny
G5, 10.5, dual 2g, 2.5 ram, FCStudio2
Re: Hard Drive disappearing
April 15, 2009 12:53PM
I'm very confused as to what you're doing.
Are you shooting stills with the GL2?

Don't those stills just end up on the tape? If so, why would you need to switch from VCR mode to camera while editing?

Messing with a connected FireWire device while FCP is working is always risky to other devices that are connected at the same time, in this case your hard drive.

www.derekmok.com
April 15, 2009 01:30PM
Yes shooting stills with GL2, but don't record on tape, go directly to Log&Capture, I think is faster and they even get numbers for each photo in sequence.

Johnny
April 15, 2009 04:34PM
Is the GL2 Firewire daisychained i.e. connected through the hard drive by any chance?

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
April 15, 2009 05:08PM
No.

Johnny
April 15, 2009 11:33PM
Do you by any chance have FW 400 AND FW 800 connected?

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics