Burning FCE projects to DVD using AVCHD footage-having issues

Posted by jennyo 
Burning FCE projects to DVD using AVCHD footage-having issues
April 15, 2009 05:32PM
I just completed my first FCE (version 4.0.1) project shot with Panasonic AG-HMC 150 in 720/24 P and using AIC 720/25 P (because there is no codec avail in FCE that matches 720/24p exactly) In any case, the project came out great, very clear, nice HD video and I made it into a quicktime movie to burn onto a DVD. When I burned it onto the DVD using iDVD and a standard DVD, in some areas, mostly with footage that is moving, there is minor,yet noticable interference is the best way to describe it. For example, there is a large piece of hardwood going down a conveyer belt and the wood has slight lines in it.
I am guessing since the project played fine in FCE and transferred fine in Quicktime that it is something I am doing with the DVD process.

If I shot in HD do I have to use a special kind of DVD or Blue Ray to get the same picture quality I am seeing in FCE? This is ultimately going to be shown on a large HD flat screen at a trade show. Does viewing it on an LCD monitor have an effect?

My operating system is OS X 10.5.6
Process 2.53 Ghz core 2 Duo
Memory 4G
Thanks so much for your help
Jennifer
Re: Burning FCE projects to DVD using AVCHD footage-having issues
April 17, 2009 09:17AM
Do you have compressor at all?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
April 17, 2009 05:25PM
She doesn't have compressor.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
April 19, 2009 12:26PM
Even though she shot this footage in HD it's authored to a normal DVD any interlacing should get taken care of by the DVD player or the Flat Panel HD TV and shouldn't show any interlacing correct?
I only have a CRT HD TV and I never see any interlacing from my DVD's but I'm not 100% sure on a flat panel.
Any Ideas folks?

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
April 19, 2009 01:03PM
I'm curious about the reasoning behind going from 720p24 (NTSC) to 720p25 (PAL)...that is a complete standards change. Surely there is a 720p24 setting in FCE for AIC...I see it in FCP. But then again, FCE is missing a lot of stuff FCP has.

SO that "interference," those 'lines,' are they present when you watch the DVD on a TV? Sounds a little like interlacing but you shouldn't have that as you shot progressive. I am wondering if it somehow has to do with the standards change and trying to burn 720p25 onto a 720p24 DVD.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
April 19, 2009 05:34PM
There is no setting in FCE for 720p24. The application does not support 24p material except 24p that's recorded 29.97 with pulldown.

iDVD does not scale HD material very well. Many users who are going to standard def DVD put the HD edited sequence into a DV anamorphic sequence and export that for use with iDVD. Unfortunately this also means you have to make a pixel aspect correction because iDVD does not now, nor has it ever, worked correctly with anamorphic flagged material.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics