bad dvd copies, why?

Posted by alioshka 
bad dvd copies, why?
April 20, 2009 09:15AM
Hi, I just finished my editing in FC exported as a quicktime movie 720x576, DV pal Integer Little Endian Timecode, and everything fine, but when I make a copy with IDVD every moving shot has a trembling effect absolutely unpresentable.
Then I copied the file .mov directly to another dvd and also gives a problem as the image keeps stopping all the way.
Has anybody an idea of what is going on?confused smiley

MACOS X LEOPARD 10.5.6
Pro 2.8 GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
2GB 800M DDR 2 SDRAM
Re: bad dvd copies, why?
April 20, 2009 09:19AM
> when I make a copy with IDVD every moving shot has a trembling effect absolutely
> unpresentable.
> Then I copied the file .mov directly to another dvd and also gives a problem as the image keeps
> stopping all the way.

These are two separate issues.

The first seems like a field-order problem. Did you run the movie file through Compressor? When editing on the timeline, did you watch the footage on an external monitor? There's currently no indication as to where in the pipeline the problem occurred. You'll need to check from the bottom up.

The second is because data DVDs aren't fast enough to play back most movie files. You'd have to copy the file to the computer drive before playing it back. Try to play a DV PAL movie file from an optical disc and it will choke over and over as it struggles to catch up with the data rate.

www.derekmok.com
April 20, 2009 10:32AM
THANKS A LOT DEREKMOK
BUT IT CAN BE DIFICULT FOR ME TO UNDERSTAND, I´m not so techniquely skilled.

THE FIRST PROBLEM:
I DIDN'T RUN IT THROUGH COMPRESSOR OR PLAY IT ANYWHERE ELSE but the imac. I sent it to Color, that was the only thing, I had little problem with renders but solve everything fine with your help guys.
Sorry Derekmok I didn´t understand the pipeline thing, nor that I need to check from the bottom up, what? Can you explain me more simple?

The second:
It would be better with avi or mpeg4?
Basically my final products are for dvd disc. How can I give to my client, let´s say, a dvd that cannot be played in dvd's players, just copied to a computer?

So wich tipe of file do you recomend me?

alioshka
April 20, 2009 01:20PM
The first and most important thing is start using DVD Studio Pro. iDVD is NOT your friend.

You should be outputting a QuickTime Movie (first export option) from the time line. Your problems will not go away (but may get worse) with avi or mgeg4. Then you should be using Compressor to transcode the clip into MPEG-2 (m2v) and Dolby Digital (ac3) files for authoring.

If you author correctly in DVDSP using m2v and ac3 clips and good quality blank DVDs it's nearly impossible to create a bad DVD.
April 20, 2009 04:35PM
that really clear up my doubts, thanks, I'm going to practise with both programmes right away
new doubts
April 21, 2009 09:57AM
Hi Tom & Derek o whoever reads that,

Compressor worked out fine with this 2 m2v and ac3 files. But compressed from 1,22 Gb of movie file to 313 Mb Mpeg2 and 9,2 Mb Dolby. Is that size all right? Is not too small?

Once in DVD Studio Pro, the quality looks good but still I can apreciate this fine kind of liny texture wich doesn't apear in .mov

I did the settings through a tutorial and think that I did it right, but seems I missed something or perhaps that must be still the pipeline problem that Derekmok mentioned wich I shoul check from the bottom up, wich I don´t understand. Could you explain me?

Another doubt is about templates. When I go to templates Apple the window is empty. Is that right? Should I find the templates anyware else? Wierd!!!!

Your tips a very appreciated.
May 07, 2009 03:23PM
Hi,

think you have solved your problem by now, but let me offer more suggestions.

When exporting from FCP, keep in mind the export setting will be those from your timeline settings.

to check that, click command-0.

I would leave it interlaced, since you are going to a standard DVD, I understand.

Now the real suggestion.

You can always use the settings that ship in Compressor.

Check you Settings window, then look for DVD group. if your Mov is smaller than 90 min.
(usually my case) use DVD Best Quality 90 Minutes.

Even if you have a 30sec commercial, that is still the easy way of doing it.
Even if you have a large disc, a 4.7gb DVD, for a small Mov., as I understand you should not exceed the Mbps of the MPeg-2 for DVD, otherwise you are risking the DVD player not catching up with so much data coming through.

Suggested maximum settings are 6.8 for target and 7.8 for maximum.

this is a very interesting article on that:

[www.kenstone.net]

Good luck

By the way. the easiest way to make a DVD for playback in DVD SP is setting the videotrack where you m2v file is to first play. No templates, no menus, no buttons, and also no hassle authoring.

Check the inspector window, with the DVD root selected, and selected First play. Set it to your Videotrack containing the mv2 file.

It is also very easy to create just one play button, which I normally do when I don t want to spend ANY time authoring.
May 13, 2009 05:41AM
Thanks for your valuable help Eric, I'll try all that in my next DVD.
HD DVD is high quality?
May 23, 2009 12:32PM
Hi people,
When I coose DVD HD in compressor to burn in DVDSP, that means that I need a special HD DVD disc or that I'm goin to put an HD file into a standard DVD disc?
And the consecuent question is, HD in a standard DVD disc is not anymore HD? Or depends of where I'm playing it? confused smiley

All that is a bit confusing for me.Thanks a lot for your always valuable help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics