Why can't I import my HDV footage from Canon HV20 camera

Posted by lianekay 
Why can't I import my HDV footage from Canon HV20 camera
April 22, 2009 12:48PM
I've been using Final Cut Pro for years, using standard definition mini-dv footage. I recently purchased a used Canon HV20 with the hope of shooting and editing in high definition. However when I go to the "Easy Set Up" menu or even the "Audio/Video Setting" menu I swear to all things righteous I can't find a setting that will accept my footage. Say for instance I select the HDV - 1080i60 setting in the "Easy Set Up" menu (which would seem to match the setting I chose in the camera to shoot on) and then go to Log and Capture. Well, I get a Log and Capture window with the little VTR OK button smiling at me. I press play and the camera plays but it doesn't show up in the window. And naturally nothing captures if I push the capture now icon. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?
Re: Why can't I import my HDV footage from Canon HV20 camera
April 23, 2009 02:48AM
What you gotta do is:

1. uplug your firewire cable from your camera (don't ask me why)
2. go to Menu (on the camera) --> Play/Out Setup1 --> playback STD, and change it from "auto" to "HD" or "HDV"
3. go to Menu --> Play/Out Setup2 --> DV Output and change it to "HD" or "HDV" (from "DV Locked"winking smiley

then use "HDV - 1080i60 firewire basic" easy setup preset in FCP

*it's similar to what you have to do with the XH A1 -- [www.lafcpug.org]
April 23, 2009 01:42PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but it's still not working. Any other thoughts?
April 23, 2009 03:39PM
maybe this will help?

[support.apple.com]
April 24, 2009 08:29AM
Well, I've made some progress. As it turns out I was missing a codec or two. My best guess is that I loaded a stripped down version of Final Cut Pro all those years ago, having not anticipated being able to afford HD then, and being in a hurry, I didn't install everything. I can import now, but it's not playing back properly. My computer tells me I may be missing a hardware card, which may be the case as my computer is old! Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.
April 27, 2009 07:29PM
Have a look at this too. (I have a HV-10 and I use the method described by Andrew Balis)

Capturing HDV Into ProRes Via FireWire

Best, Eric
April 28, 2009 08:23AM
I will try this when I get a chance and let you know if it works for me. Thanks for the post. -Liane
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics