Quality Control for Audio & Video Injest

Posted by paurray 
Quality Control for Audio & Video Injest
April 29, 2009 01:14PM
Guten Tag Lieber Kollegen (german for good day dear colleagues)

The Plan

To capture lots of HDV material mostly from Sony Z1 & V1 & Co. Tape & Cards. Capturing to ProRES. We´re getting a relatively new Mac Pro for capturing purposes with RAID & have a HDV recorder from Sony & Card reader. Using FCP for the editing on other work stations.

We are looking at setting up quality control. For Video & Audio.

So I looked in the LAFCPUG wiki, thanks Derek

[www.lafcpug.org]

Audio :

Use Effects - Audio Filters - Apple - AUDynamicsProcessor. The Gain option will allow you to add up to 40dB of boost on top of the 12dB provided within the clip. If 52dB of gain can't make your audio high enough, then your original audio is almost certainly unusable.

Video :

But video stumped me. Is there some kind of value at which you say pictures are unusable. I know that it is partly an aesthetic thing but I am in Germany and we like our excel tables here eye rolling smiley

e.g. 10% on my waveform monitor is unusable?

Or is there a better way of nailing this?

grateful for any thoughts

thanks in advance

Paul
Re: Quality Control for Audio & Video Injest
April 29, 2009 02:23PM
In my experience usability is a moving target. Something that in one context is completely unusable, in another context is perfectly acceptable.

For example, in a feature film you would not use highly compressed workflows that produce boxy, soft results. However, from an embedded reporter in a war zone that clip leads the broadcast.

In the US we did have legal standards about would could be broadcast over the air on television. Those rules were scrapped in 1984. We still use them as a guide for setting local standards. However they refer mostly to technical things like blanking width, and black and white levels.

In the digital realm, we can make most of that happen by adding the broadcast safe filter.

You may find that Germany has similar rules and laws. You might try contacting the technical departments of ARD, ZDF or a local station and ask if they have technical guides that they provide program producers.

Beyond that, make it look the best you can using what you have to work with.

-Vance
April 29, 2009 04:06PM
We are looking at ingesting literally thousands of videos per month. There will probably some guy or gal doing work experience being responsible for the ingest side of things. They are partly responsible for sorting out the bad apples. Would be cool to be able to give them some clear guidelines?

Edited 2 night clubs & they were pretty dark will check out the levels also for co workers project. We´re doing video guides for cities. Means sightseeing, shops, hotels, restaurants and clubs all for the Net.

I am seeing artifacts all over the place. But I think pro RES will help. Should also minimize horrible HDV renders.

Paul
April 29, 2009 06:26PM
Hallo Paurray,

Wie geht's?

I would start by planning a clear and organized Injest Worflow, since you have mentioned 1000's of videos per month.

Final Cut Server is a valueable tool for the work.

Tschüss

Viel Spaß
April 30, 2009 03:07AM
Hi Rui

Danke für die nach frage gut und selbe?

Am an editor & trainer myself and am looking at stuff like exporting a Batch list from FCP for Excel where we can have a list of potential problems.

Yes we are looking at Final Cut Server our X raid is down so maybe I can get a chance to start reading the PDFs.

Guess that it might be better to do this in FCP server, if it is possible.

And I know that we need a big fat workflow plan and......

I have to start some where and I thought that this was the place to start.

We basically have people advising us about hardware, networking, servers etc. If we are not clear at our end they could persuade us to get some stuff that we don´t really need!

It is only a matter of time until I start using OmniGraffle Mind Mapping software again :-)

Any tips where I can find any relevant information...

adios amigo (you are from Spain, maybe?)

Paul
April 30, 2009 05:42AM
Hi there

You should have a Look at the Telestream Pipeline. For Ingest Software you schould visit [www.toolsonair.com].
Allet wird Jut!

cheers
April 30, 2009 05:43PM
Hi Paurray

No, i'm from Portugal.

Good Luck

Adeus Amigo

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics