Bin Sort Order Error

Posted by Andrew Kines 
Bin Sort Order Error
May 06, 2009 04:09PM
Hello,
Dealing with a veritable crapload of HDV "second unit" footage. Fun...
This isn't making it easier. If you look closely you'll see two clips ( 44 &76 ) that have sorted to the bottom when they should be up top or thereabouts. I have made sure the reel name is the same, and it sorts that way even if I don't sort for reel name and TC.
Even if you reverse sort order, those clips are up top and not with their sub 01:00:00:00 bretheren.
Haven't noticed this before today. Haven't had this many HDV tapes before either.
[rant]What an irritating format. Make it go away soon.[/rant]

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Re: Bin Sort Order Error
May 06, 2009 07:45PM
What happens if you bin the reels and then sort by TC? I agree it's dumb, btw.

May 06, 2009 08:29PM
i use "double column sorting"

sort first by reel, then hold SHIFT, and also select the "media Start" column.

now sorting is by Reel AND Media Start.
great if you have more than one reel.

nick
May 06, 2009 10:19PM
Why does 44 have a disclosure triangle next to it Markers? is that the cause?

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
May 07, 2009 09:59AM
The disclosure triangle was a marker indicating the clip had a shot of the smart slate on it. (The HDV camera's were roving around while the HVX200's were A and B Camera with the sound units). If they were in the area of an audio unit/smart slate they would grab a shot of it for long takes.

I deleted the marker and it made no difference.

Nick: That bin view IS double sorted. I do it all the time as well.

Jude: Just tried that, no diff.

There are a bunch of other columns that could be "causing" this (AUX TC on 25% of the clips, 44 included) but no matter how you swing it, it's a mistake/bug/glitch if I want to sort by one column and one column only.

It's inscrutable stuff like this that undermines my confidence in recommending FCP for really large media management projects. This plus the project file size ballooning has me using projects like bins, almost in an AVID style, i.e. Sequence Project, HDV Project, Music Project etc. Although that ballooning issue is, I am coming to believe, mostly related to MultiClips, another bugaboo I have with FCP.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
May 07, 2009 01:00PM
Any chance you embedded a non-printing character while typing the clip names? Like ctrl-something? A leading space on those names would mess up the sort order too, but I can't see one. Can you rename those clips, carefully re-typing what they should be, and see if it makes any difference?

Scott
May 07, 2009 03:04PM
Scott,
Could be, but that should only matter if I was sorting by clip name. For the heck of it, I just copy'n'pasted the names from other clips and changed the number suffix and it's still the same issue.
Now I am digging through the TC settings to see if there's some funkiness there. Some of these clips have AuxTC assigned but it doesn't seem to make a difference to the sort order if I remove it. As I organize all these clips I am just going to have to be waaayyyy more careful, and slower.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
May 07, 2009 03:08PM
"...that should only matter if I was sorting by clip name."

Oh, duh! I missed that part. On the other hand, maybe you can force the sort you want by sorting by clip name (in this case, anyway), since you are carefully making them follow that order.

Scott
May 07, 2009 03:19PM
Yeah but those are the names that they were given during capture. I am going through and being more specific with names and syncing to Aux TC and generally adding a heap of metadata, i.e. The W5 in Master Comments1-4. Using set notes and Audio notes I should be able to sort by TC and figure out what I am looking at but this sort order thing means I have to be aware of a random order of clips and not a chronological one.
Now I am trying to find other instances of this issue in my projects.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics