Question about upgrading to Final Cut Studio 2

Posted by film615 
Question about upgrading to Final Cut Studio 2
May 08, 2009 08:34AM
I purchased the final cut studio 2 upgrade about a year ago, but I haven't installed on my iMac with the Tiger OS. I own the leopard OS, but I don't want to upgrade to it right now. I won't be able to use some of my older programs ( Photoshop CS and After Effect 7) with this OS.

Will Studio 2 work well with tiger? Do I need any updates (Quicktime or FCP Studio 2) to make it run smoothly?

My 24" iMac has 4 gigs of ram and a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I'm currently running Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 with Final Cut Pro 5.1.4

Thanks.

Mark
Re: Question about upgrading to Final Cut Studio 2
May 08, 2009 08:45AM
Should'nt be any problem. I'm running FCS 2 on Tiger here.

Here are the actual specs

Minimum Requirements to Install All Final Cut Studio Applications

* A Macintosh computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Xeon processor
* 1GB of RAM
* An AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors)
* A display with 1024-by-768 resolution or higher
* Mac OS X v10.4.11 or Mac OS X v10.5.5 or later
* QuickTime 7.5.5 or later
* A DVD drive for installation

May 08, 2009 11:38AM
Mark said
I won't be able to use some of my older programs ( Photoshop CS and After Effect 7) with this OS [Leopard].

Wait, what? These versions of these programs won't run on Leopard? Can you provide a reference? I'm using the Adobe Creative Suite 2 on a Mac Pro with Tiger; not the best performance since they aren't Intel-native apps, but they're perfectly adequate. Might they fail to work at all under Leopard? Where exactly is the cutoff for what won't work in Leopard?

Scott
May 08, 2009 03:14PM
FWIW, I run Photoshop CS on my Powermac G4 under Leopard with no issues. Can't vouch for AE7. I also ran FCS2 under Tiger for a long time on my Powerbook, worked fine. If you're happy under Tiger then I wouldn't rock the boat, although you're missing out on some features of Leopard that I personally find invaluable (Time Machine, back to My Mac). But Tiger+FCS2 is totally stable.

Keep in mind that the next OS (Snow Leopard) is supposedly due out this year, along with FCS3 (maybe), so you'll be TWO versions behind on everything before long.winking smiley

JK

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics