Square pixel converted to Non-Square
May 19, 2009 02:49PM
can dv be converted to non-square pixel without a lot of quality loss. If it can, what is the best method?

USAGE:

converting sd square pixels (720x480 16/9) to be used as a tile in a 1080p workspace. This tile will only be covering about a 3rd of the screen while motion graphics fill the rest of the 1920x1080 frame. ( i could use 720p (1440x720) also.)

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Square pixel converted to Non-Square
May 19, 2009 02:53PM
You mean non-square to square.

And yes, Compressor can do this just fine if you need to batch-convert a lot of material. Make sure you use the "better" or "best" scaling option for optimum results. I've never picked a difference between the two myself, but I haven't done a lot of this type of jiggery-pokery.

May 19, 2009 03:07PM
yes i mean non-square to square.

so would this allow my sd video tile to not look so raggedy when played on a hd lcd since it will not be scaled up at all from 720x480?

I just have 1 more or so month of this and its all hd from there. Hello JULY HDsmileys with beer

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
May 20, 2009 03:52AM
"so would this allow my sd video tile to not look so raggedy"

probably not.
what are you playing to the HD TV?
last time this came up you were playing a standard def dvd.

one problem that can be avoided is that you're using DV to do graphics.
you'll get better results if you do all your graphics in a ProRes or Uncompressed timeline, or motion project.

if you have SD footage and you have some way of playing back HD,
then of course do your graphics in an HD timeline.

nick
May 20, 2009 07:47AM
Yes nick. I am creating a dvd in dvdsp to be played on an hd tv.

I actually have seriously considered doing it all in motion3 (6min).
I would be creating 15s - 30s motion sequences then using fcp to put them together or exporting movies from motion then pulling them back into motion and using motion to construct the 6min video as i would use the fcp TL.

i am thinking i should considered 720p and 1080p as my workspace in motion.
but 10 bit uncompressed if i pull the motions files or movies into fcp.

I just want the sd to look as good as possible in an hd aspect.

""""
May 20, 2009 08:11AM
Okay, come on. This doesn't make any sense at all, and you know it.

You're delivering a standard-definition DVD. Presumably it's anamorphic, but it doesn't matter right now because neither anamorphic nor flat SD uses square pixels.

Yet you want to convert your flat SD source material to square-pixel. Why? So you can drop it into a 1080i timeline ? when you're delivering anamorphic SD!

None of this, absolutely none of it, makes any sense at all. You've gotta think about this stuff, Corbett. Seriously. Especially before you go posting questions that turn out to be the wrong questions, and consequently wasting people's time.

Yes, you can convert flat SD to square-pixel, and you can use Compressor to do it if you want. You can also photoshop a hat onto a picture of a duck. Neither one will help you with this job.

May 20, 2009 12:07PM
so you are saying that dvdsp will not do a 1440x720 or a 1920x1080 dvd?

ok let me explain it this way.

the hd tv plays at 720p or 1080p my choice. I understand that the tv itself is doing some scaling.
however, sd can not fill that space and if you scale it to 720 or 1080 it looks like, do do.
But as a tile it does not have to be scaled at all.
1080 is square pixels.

so to deliver a dvd that will fill the screen set to 1080 without the video looking so muddy.
i want to tile sd video into a 1080 space.

its 6min long so i figure 4.7 gigs will handle it.
when i buy a -5 dave chapelle show its in hd right?
I do not have any blueray or hdvd players so its -5 or 9 if it plays.

now if dvd will not allow this size then how do i get the video to fill the 50 inch screen without an extreme stretch?

""""
May 20, 2009 12:28PM
What we're saying is that there's no such thing as a 1440x720 or 1920x1080 DVD. DVDs are standard-definition, either flat or anamorphic. In both cases, the resolution is 720x480; only the pixel aspect ratio differs.

This is awfully basic stuff.

May 20, 2009 02:23PM
not for me.
I have never ran into the situation before. It is the relationships within the workflow that is confusing me.

Here is what i understand. True or False

the hdtv and/or dvd player does all of the scaling.

clean sd on a lcd screen is clean sd playing at whatever scale setting lcd or deck is set to.

The only benefit of working in a hd tl is for cleaner graphics.

Working this in motions will not improve delivery resolution performance because it is a sd dvd.

The hd choice in dvdsp is still 720x480 just anamorphic but not 853x480. I guess its 720x480 letterbox.

This same HD option simply allows for higher bit rates (cleaner video) that most dvd players can not play anyway.

""""
May 20, 2009 07:03PM
c,mon j.

it's common sense (plus we went though this dance already!)

you are making a Standard Def product.
you want it to be the best it can be.

forcing it through various upscaling and down-scaling will NOT achieve this.

nick
May 20, 2009 10:50PM
I got it.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics