Sequence Settings for Final Output

Posted by Brandon102 
Sequence Settings for Final Output
June 03, 2009 01:26AM
Hi everyone! First of all, thank you so much in advance for helping out. I have a few questions that I am not sure about and hopefully you can advise me in the best direction!

Using FCP 5.1.4

I have spent years editing a documentary, shot on mini dv with a few animations from after effects. It's already edited and pretty much solidified on the timeline. Under sequence settings, the quicktime video settings are set to compressor: DV/DVCPro - NTSC. That seems normal but I also have animations on the timeline and don't want the dv compression because things get distorted and jittery. I want the best quality.

Should I change my sequence settings to un-compressed 10-bit or just "none"? I just want to know the absolute best way to set myself up for the highest quality quicktime video export, then I can make a master.

Then I can take that into compressor or use a conversion house to make a master from my quicktime.

Thanks so much! Your help is truly appreciated!
Re: Sequence Settings for Final Output
June 03, 2009 12:58PM
In my opinion i would:

create a new sequence that is set to uncompressed 10-bit

THEN/AFTER THAT copy the original to the new 10bit TL
( make sure that you do not change the frame size a lot of codecs come with a predetermined frame size that must be altered)

Render the TL (make sure that your render is set to highest quality in fcp preferences > render settings)

Export QT self contained ( not qt conversion )

The question then is will the file fit on a data dvd 4.4gigs or will you have to get a 8gig flash drive or even a small portable drive to go to the authoring/master house.

there is also a way to send the raw fcp project to a master house with the media but i have not done that for a project yet. However, this process was mentioned to me by ComCast. This way they control what they need.

Maybe one of the network folks here can tell you.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
June 03, 2009 12:59PM
Well, what would help is knowing what you are going to master TO. Tape? DVD? Web?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 03, 2009 01:00PM
So you can make what kind of master? If you're just going to be mastering back to DV tape (for example) then there's no point in going through any format-conversion dances.

(Edit: Jinx, Shane. You owe me a Coke.)

June 03, 2009 01:11PM
wow, i passed. I missed the biggest question but i passed. yeeeeeeeeeeah

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
June 03, 2009 01:19PM
Sorry Jeff...I posted at 10:59, you at 11:00. I WIN!

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 03, 2009 01:25PM
lol

""""
June 03, 2009 01:33PM
Dammit. I'll email you the Coke.

June 05, 2009 06:47PM
Thank you! But, if I put all my un-rendered footage into a new 10-bit uncompressed sequence...my animations will look beautiful but will anything or could anything happen to my mini dv footage?

It doesn't really make sense that something would happen but I just want to be sure. Is that probably the best way to just drop it all into a 10bit sequence?

Thanks again!
June 05, 2009 06:59PM
You still haven't answered the important question. What are you mastering to?

If you're just mastering to DV, there's no point in putting everything into an Uncompressed 10-bit SD sequence. All benefits will be negated by the limitations of the DV format, and all you'll get is a larger file for no good reason.

www.derekmok.com
June 05, 2009 07:22PM
Most likely mastering to digibeta then making copies to other formats from that. But, i just want my animations and subtitles to look as crisp as possible. Thanks and hope that helps.
June 06, 2009 08:37PM
Also, as far as the render settings...should I just leave it at the standard "Render in 8-bit YUV"? Or, which is the best quality one?

Thanks!
June 06, 2009 09:02PM
that setting is fine. there is a 10bit choice but unless you are gonna go to grading, its not all that necessary.

from digi beta to .......??? If the answer is DVD there will still be some lost. However a mastering house will do an A+ job of making that not as apparent.

""""
June 06, 2009 10:59PM
Ok cool...so I'm going to do the whole dropping my timeline into a 10-bit uncompressed sequence and that should be good.

I want to drop in all unrendered footage so is it a good idea to create a new project using media manager and just don't include render files?

That makes sense to me but I'm open to other opinions.

Thanks again for all your responses!
June 07, 2009 02:06AM
Stay aware of aspect ratio and frame size thru-out.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics