Out of Memory

Posted by DCA_Film 
Out of Memory
June 10, 2009 04:48PM
Greetings,

I am trying to output my final sequence, its a 1920x1080 ProRes 422(HQ) 23.98 sequence,
In the past I have been able to output various versions of the movie. Its time for me to output a 10bit version for archiving so I can move to the next project.

I get an out of Out of Memory window when I try to render the time line, I also get the out of memory if I try to use export with Quick time conversion, and when its with the project setting, or if I change them to 10bit.

I have saved the "project as" a few times.

I have set up a new folder on my raid (currently 2tb)

The only thing that has changed since my last output is I "upgraded to Aftereffects CS4".

I have 4 gigs of ram installed, am using a AJA Kona LHe card, its a Intel quad xeon processor, the system drive has 105 gigs of space on it, the Raid has 2 of the 4 tb available. FCP 6.02

I have not installed the "update to leopard yet"

I have trashed the preferences, and the User preferences.

Repaired Disc permissions etc.

Really scratching my head... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Re: Out of Memory
June 11, 2009 08:23AM
are there any other drives attached to your machine?
June 11, 2009 09:50AM
did you check for any / all of these causes?
[www.lafcpug.org]
November 26, 2010 09:48AM
Having the exact same problem -- did you ever solve this?
November 26, 2010 10:11AM
Do you have any large image files in your timeline? If so, you need to scale them down in PS. If are working in HD and you need to do a pan and scan and require a larger image size, switch rendering precision to 8 bits.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 27, 2010 12:45AM
Out of Memory, hm.
___
Still images using Quicktime as the underlying engine need to be under 4000 pixels square. FCP like sonly RGB TIFF, PSD, or (ugh) JPEG.

Scale 'em so that any side is under 4K for best performance in FCP. And BTW, lots of folks do their photomotion in Motion these days! Less danger of project file corruption from storing a lot of oversized scans or digital camera files.

You can get around the 4K limit by acquiring StageTools MovingPicture animation plugin-- it's very cool, been around for years, and allows up to 8K pixels square.

The ultimate photomotion machine is of course After Effects, with a huge G-world-- I forget how many thousands of pixels per side-- and a dedicated rendering engine. This and MovingPicture is a more meaningful solution for stills for HD resolutions.

+++
For all its image beauty, I have seen nothing but hassles in average editing rooms trying to get 10-bit working on anything but very powerful towers with lots of RAM and a dedicated video card that can ingest and pump it out. Adding two bits to the depth gives you a larger color palette per RGB channel but you pay for it when you try to render in 10-bit-- lots of effects and transitions are still 8-bit! I once saw a 10-bit DVCProHD sequence playback go screwy when the playhead encountered a dissolve!

+++
If you use sequences in NESTS, do NOT slice into the nest-- you are immediately doubling the content and RAM demand. I call it the Sorcerer's Apprentice Syndrome, recalling FANTASIA and Mickey with the magic brooms and buckets which multiplied ad nauseum. I have seen Out of Memory occurring when clients have cut into nest containers rather than step inside to edit, which is the proper way of editing nested material. Trimming the ends doesn't seem to offend (although you should step in for that too), but slicing somewhere in a Nest clip containing a very elaborate vertical edit is surely the road to hell.

My .02

- Loren
Photo scan rates demystified!
ScanGuide? Pro compact reference now at
www.neotrondesign.com
November 28, 2010 03:48AM
>I once saw a 10-bit DVCProHD sequence playback go screwy when the playhead
>encountered a dissolve!

There is no 10 bit dvcprohd format. There is only 8 bit dvcprohd and 2 FCP render paths for YUV formats- 8 bit and 32 bit floating point. Float is buggier, but it tends to look better especially across filter stacks, reduces rounding errors and preserves the full 10 bit depth of your source material. Certain graphics card may not support floating point operations when rendering fxplugs. On properly outfitted machines, I haven't had major problems when rendering in float.

In the case of the dvcprohd sequence, you may want to re render.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 29, 2010 04:52PM
We did resolve the issue, after having the logic board replaced by apple, and a ton of other things, there were a lot of heads scratched with our calls to pro care.

We upgraded out video card, and that did away with the issues, you can't run 2 cinema displays with a 256 meg video card. You can run both but when you try to render any effects in a 10-bit or 8 bit for that matter you get the error.

We had purchased a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT before the start of the production, and I did not want to install it mid project, however once it was installed we have had (wanted to upgrade from the stock one that came with it) no problems since, we also went to an external raid at the same time, oh the difference both have made.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics