H264 and Photo JPEG formats

Posted by Lisha 
H264 and Photo JPEG formats
June 17, 2009 05:44PM
A friend has a bunch of footage that was sent to them via a server in both formats. The Photo JPEG clips, I'm told are the high quality clips for editing. To save on disc space they want to edit with the H.264 and then online to the Photo JPEG clips. Is that doable? I told them to separate the two formats onto different drives and connect the drive they want to work from. I also told them to wait and let me speak with a friend about it. winking smiley

Thoughts anyone?

Peace,
Lisha
Re: H264 and Photo JPEG formats
June 17, 2009 05:58PM
Nope. H.264 is not an editing format. The current state of the art can't reliably deal with it. If you want to offline, like really offline at say 10:1 or 20:1 or something, Photo JPEG is still the right choice, only at a ridiculously low quality.

June 17, 2009 06:05PM
Thanks Jeff!

So they should use the Photo JPEG to offline and then use the full quality clips for the online? Correct?
June 17, 2009 06:37PM
Convert them to OFFLINE_RT...that is a low quality PHOTO JPEG format. Or convert them to DV. Use the Media Manager's RECOMPRESS option...that way you retain timecode and reel info.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 17, 2009 06:57PM
I decided to get more information...

This is a show from the 70's and 80's. Hours, upon hours, upon hours of footage, on 1 inch, betaSP and Digi. The final goal is a DVD box set and for broadcast.

For archival purposes the post house put the footage into 100 percent Photo JPEG and H.264. The producers have been scanning the files to see what footage they want to use on the DVDs and Broadcast projects. They have been logging the time code of the clips they want. The post house did not intend for the Photo JPEG files or the H.264 files to be used as the final clips for editorial. But it sounds like the production company wants to use the Photo JPEGS as their footage, edit, and output to tape.

I'm being asked can they import the H.264 files into FCP. Edit. Then upres to the 100 percent Photo JPEG files and use this For Broadcast and DVD Boxed Set versions.

Should they stick with what seems to be the original plan and use the H.264 and Photo JPEG files for archival purposes only?What is the suggested workflow for such a situation? Can the Photo JPEG files be used as the master footage? Should they even try to edit using the H.264 and then relink to the Photo JPEG footage?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

As always, thanks in advance!!!!!
Peace,
Lisha
June 17, 2009 07:06PM
Thanks Shane! If they convert the Photo JPEG files to DV can they use the files as their master files and output to tape once the editorial is complete? Please see my 04:57PM post for additional questions.

Thanks so much!!!!

Peace,
Lisha
June 17, 2009 07:09PM
Download this online magazine...the Supermeet 2008 one:

[www.lafcpug.org]

And look for my article where I explain this process step by step, with pictures.

You cannot edit the H.264 files....that is not an editing codec, that is archival for web delivery and device delivery only.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
June 17, 2009 07:20PM
I edit with H264 (full size 720p / full frame rate / 8 MBPS) for my demo materials. No issues here. I rather like it.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 17, 2009 07:21PM
Stop proving us wrong Joe...I mean it. STOP!

smiling smiley

Does it retain original timecode/reel information?

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics