Slo-Mo Lip Sync

Posted by J.Corbett 
Slo-Mo Lip Sync
June 22, 2009 01:14PM
There was a video tutorial on doing slo-mo music video while keeping the lips in sync. I can not find it now.
So i was wondering if anyone may have seen that and still know where the link is, or if any knew of a VIDEO tutorial that might exist somewhere else?

My TOOLS are FCS2 and Production Premium CS4.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Slo-Mo Lip Sync
June 22, 2009 01:17PM
I don't think this is the kind of thing you'd need a tutorial for. Just adjust ramp your playback on set and your camera speed by the same factor. If you want to shoot overcranked at 48 frames per second, just set your on-set playback to half speed. In post, everything will be in sync.

June 22, 2009 02:03PM
Its shot in 30p, and i failed to mention that it was shot already. i don't need much just about 12-sec to cut into a few pieces.

so, i was thinking of putting the 12s into motion to use Optical Flow and slow to 60-75% then pull that back to fcp. then i am going to have lip sync problems. I need to match about 5 or 6 words total.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
June 22, 2009 08:30PM
if you shot it in sync,
then slowing down will obviously lose the sync.

you might be able to use a short snatch here and there,
maybe build up a line of vocal from a few different takes
(if you cut up one take to "sync" it will have jump cuts. probably not hat you want)

nick
June 22, 2009 10:22PM
eye sea,

Jeff,

so if i had have shot in 60i, I would converted that to 60p for slo-mo in a 24p TL. That my max crank, if you will.

We just scheduled another shoot for this saturday at a 8th location. so i can get some new footage. but 60i is still max.

Nick,

i will more than likely use your suggestion also. I had a photographer the entire 11hr day and we did some time lapse photos (12fps) for a style i want to try out. so the jump cut may fit in kinda nicely.

""""
June 24, 2009 12:16AM
Slow-mo footage with lyrics in sync = play back the audio on-set FASTER than normal.

So if your slomo rate is half speed, then your audio playback should be sped up to 200%. Whether you overcrank in the camera or adjust the speed in post, everything should be in sync. I've seen it done on behind-the-scenes of music videos; the band tries to lip sync to a track that sounds like Alvin & The Chipmunks.

It doesn't sound like you're shooting with a variable frame rate camera, right? Then you're shooting 60 and then slowing it down to 24 in post (which may not be that smooth, but maybe with optical flow); then you're slowing it down to 40% speed, so then you would have to play back your audio at 250% on set so they can lip sync to it properly (100/.40 = 250)

I think I have that right...

June 24, 2009 05:58AM

Then you're shooting 60 and then slowing it down to 24 in post (which may not be that smooth, but maybe with optical flow)

Actually no, the 250% speed ramp from 60i to 24p is one of those cases where you emphatically do not want to use optical flow or frame blending or anything. Going from 60i to 24p means one field of 60i maps to one frame of 24p exactly, so all you do is field-double and spatially interpolate. This gives you a picture that's slightly softer than it would otherwise be, but the motion quality is quite good.

Note that this only works if you do two things:

1. Shoot with a 180° shutter. For 60i, that would be 1/120. Otherwise you get too much motion blur and it comes out all streaky.

2. Apply exactly a 250% time stretch. No more or less. If 250% isn't slow enough, or is too slow, tough.

Stu covers this, and a lot of other really useful techniques, in great detail in his "DV Rebel's Guide."

June 24, 2009 10:47AM
Dunno the post stuff, but the way i've seen this done, the music was playing veeerrryyy slowly, and the camera was burning through film. The singer had practiced enough he could sing (well, move his lips...) that slowly and still look (kinda sorta) in synch

I think the FPS were 75fps, which would've meant the music was slowed down by a factor of 3 during playback during shooting. IE: If you're ovevrcranking to twice your playback rate, you slow down the music when shooting to half speed.

randy
June 24, 2009 12:01PM
so let me see here.

1. i need to film in 60i cause thats the highest frame rate available. shutter at 1/120.

2. then slow that to 40% or stretch time to 250%. I am thinking that these numbers are the same just different mathematical representations. I need to do this in fcp not motion.

Would it be easier math / look better/ be better handled by FCP, to take 60i to a 30p TL slowed to 50 percent, instead of using the 24p TL?

jeff
so all you do is field-double and spatially interpolate.

i am a slightly foggy here.

field-double - copy my clip ? meaning superimpose the footage as in V1 and V2 having the same clip with the same in/out ( A CARBON COPY accept on having different field dominance)

spatially interpolate - manual or is this just done by fcp on the slow down

""""
June 24, 2009 12:28PM
Corbett, this discussion is (a) not at all Final Cut Pro-related, (b) off-topic as to your original question, and (c) beyond the scope of a Web forum. So I'm going to go ahead and put the period on the send of this thread's sentence here.

There is an established technique for converting from 60i to 24p; it's very technical and specific, and exactly how you do it ? like which buttons you push ? depends entirely on what tools you use. If you want, you can Google around to find more in-depth information that describes specific workflows and tool chains. If you want a bigger-picture sort of overview, go spend the $35 on Stu Maschwitz's "DV Rebel's Guide," which provides all the technical background necessary to get down into details on this topic. But this forum is not the place for this.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics