Audio 2 pop and visual timecode

Posted by ERIC B 
Audio 2 pop and visual timecode
July 20, 2009 07:10PM
Hi there,

I'm running the latest Final Cut on an Imac.

My composer sent me these specs -

Quicktime with visual time code and an audio 2-pop two seconds before the first frame of the picture (approx 2 seconds before where you would like the music to start).
The frame rate of the quicktime file should be the same frame rate as your picture.

Can someone please tell me how to do this?

Thank you,

Eric
Re: Audio 2 pop and visual timecode
July 20, 2009 07:20PM
> Quicktime with visual time code and an audio 2-pop two seconds before the first frame of the
> picture (approx 2 seconds before where you would like the music to start).
> The frame rate of the quicktime file should be the same frame rate as your picture.

I assume your picture is locked.

First, backup your project file and all non-timecoded media. Date- and time-stamp the backup project file and put it somewhere safe, away from your computer -- I recommend a USB flash stick, or a data CD/DVD. Label the backup medium clearly so you know what it is.

Do a Render, Audio Mixdown (OPTION-R, then OPTION-APPLE-R) on your timeline. Then export your timeline with File - Export - QuickTime Movie, Current Settings, self-contained, don't check Recompress.

This does not give you the file your composer wants, but it's good to have your locked picture cut as a movie file.

"Visual time code" means he wants a "timecode burn" on the movie file right there in the picture -- running numbers that correspond with the timecode of your timeline, so that across the board in post-production everyone will know that Shot X falls on a certain number xx:xx:xx:xx.

To do this, read this FAQ:

[www.lafcpug.org]

I do not recommend that you put a Timecode Reader filter onto every clip in your editing timeline. This is very disruptive, and one slip of the mouse could mean you've changed your picture edit. So, either use the QuickTime movie I recommended you make above, or use the "overlay" method outlined in the FAQ.

2-pop means that if the first frame of your picture is 01:00:00:00 (and it needs to be), then at 00:59:58:00, exactly two seconds before the first frame of picture, you need one frame of the number "2", plus a one-frame-long audio "BEEP". This is because many films open on a black matte until titles or a dissolve come in. The "2" and the audio beep tell people where the first frame of picture is supposed to be, which is always exactly two seconds after the visible "2" and the audible beep.

www.derekmok.com
July 20, 2009 08:15PM
Thank you.

How do I generate the "BEEP"?
July 20, 2009 08:19PM
Call up the Bars and Tone in FCP's generators, cut the tone to just one frame long.

www.derekmok.com
July 20, 2009 08:41PM
Thank you. Basic question, what's a NEST?
July 20, 2009 09:10PM
A nest is a Sequence that is being put into another Sequence. There, it behaves very similarly to a clip -- for example, you can apply Motion parameters to it, or apply one filter onto it.

www.derekmok.com
July 21, 2009 11:44AM
These are very standard requests for audiopost, except for the QT file. Usually I send them a .omf file for them to mix from, and a visual reference (usually mpg4 which encodes pretty fast).

I run QTsync to generate the timecode- does it without rendering. Then i compress that to Mpg4, and export the audio out as an omf file.

2-pop is another very standard procedure (the 2-pop allows you to pop in your final mix back into the timeline with a sync point).

Basically you should have a 2 second black just before your first image (prog start). And when you get your audio file back, just align the 2-pop that black frame, and check the rest of the program for sync.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 23, 2009 09:56AM
Qtsync is a great time saver, especially with the compressor 23.98 timecode bug.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics