OT- What to reckon of this.......... A Free NLE......

Posted by FindonChrispy 
OT- What to reckon of this.......... A Free NLE......
July 24, 2009 09:18AM
[www.kdenlive.org]

Saw a review of this in a Linux magazine, just thought it'd be interesting to see what people thought of it, not a serious contender for the likes of FCP and AVID but for the hobbyist/IMovie/Windows Movie Maker user?
Re: OT- What to reckon of this.......... A Free NLE......
July 24, 2009 09:25AM
It supports AVCHD so it already has a leg up on FCP with me winking smiley

Hmmmm......

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 24, 2009 09:30AM
I have to admit to having a soft spot for the whole open source community and take my hat off to their dedication and hard work. I used a free app called 'Audacity' in college for all my projects and it worked just as well as Soundtrack pro in the aspects i needed it too.

It will be interesting to see how it develops.......
July 24, 2009 09:54AM
Once upon a time, maybe ten years ago, there emerged a lot of buzz over a freeware compositor ? essentially a Flame clone ? with a funny name. It was called Jashaka or something like that. I vaguely knew, through a friend of a friend, the guy who started it.

I've never in my life seen such a colossal failure. The ratio of hype to delivered results was stratospheric.

To the best of my knowledge, that project never delivered a working product. At least, if it has, I've never heard it mentioned.

It's incredibly easy, in the current technological environment, to start an ambitious freeware project. But the number of freeware projects that actually deliver anything, as a fraction of the total number that try, is so small as to effectively round down to zero.

July 24, 2009 10:24AM
That can be a problem for any new app that gets developed, some, like open office seem to maintain a steady momentum and gain a steady fan base. I use open office all the time instead of microsoft office and both are fully compatible with the other.

I wonder if kdenlive will cut a open source niche for itself in the same way......

At least for the moment they are encouraging and asking for input from working editors so that might help it stay alive for the time being.....
July 24, 2009 10:26AM
Absolutely no offense intended, but you seem to have a very abstract working definition of "fully compatible."

July 24, 2009 10:31AM
Fun for hobbyists- completely abhorrent for a would-be professional editor or post house...

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
July 24, 2009 10:58AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh i am offended now!

If you think that is abstract you should hear my take on cooking.........

Actually thats a good point though, i should have said that whenever i have had to use Office, be it spreadsheets or word processing it has saved out to the correct format allowing it to be opened up on microsoft office with no problems whatsoever.

I do all my invoices, music cue sheets, ransom nots, novels etc using open office and had them open up on MS office no problemo, providing you select the right option in save as.

That way i get to look cool.......
July 24, 2009 11:18AM
>That way i get to look cool.......

Whoa whoa whoa, now just wait a minute ... you get to look cool? No fair! I only got into this business and started using Apple products so I could look cool, and I don't. How come I'm still short and bald, eh??? APPLE, ARE YOU LISTENING?
July 24, 2009 11:18AM
I dunno, i'm sure there are some editor/charlatans out there that might want to cut down on some overheads............ I know i certainly do

as for looking cool....... word processing worked for me...... at least in my own head....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics