One ray of hope...

Posted by Vince Sanchez 
One ray of hope...
July 25, 2009 04:55PM
I started thinking about the new Pro Res and its backward compatibility and was wondering if old macs would have the ability to use. I made a movie in the prores444 codec and sent it over to my ancient powerbook g4, at first it wouldn't open, then I updated to the latest version of Quicktime and voila it opened perfectly, alpha channel intact. I then imported it into FC 6.05 and all was good. So I guess my old computers aren't totally obsolete, yet.
I also stuck my FCS3 disk into my G5 and it immediately told me I need an Intel processor to install, so that settle that.
Re: One ray of hope...
July 25, 2009 04:57PM
Playback perhaps- encode no...

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
Re: One ray of hope...
July 25, 2009 06:18PM
And playback is also an iffy prospect. As I recall, most G5 systems lacked the CPU horsepower to play back 1080p24 ProRes 422 in real time at full resolution. The component stepped it down to quarter-res automatically. The G5 quads, I think, were sufficient to play back that format, and maybe the fastest two-bys were, but most couldn't.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics