Projecting Quicktime Movie from MacBook Pro

Posted by DanielRaim 
Projecting Quicktime Movie from MacBook Pro
July 28, 2009 11:49AM
I'm screening my movie for an audience of 60 tomorrow, and wondering about the quality of projecting a 720x480/24p Pro Res 422 anamorphic Quicktime movie directly from a MacBook Pro DVI output.

I assume I have to play the Quicktime movie "Full Screen", and I'm already aware of making sure "high quality" is checked.

Here are my questions:

1) Is it better to have the projector "un-squeeze" the anamorphic movie - or should I set it to 720x404 in Quicktime's preferences?

2) Is it better to project from a MacPro vs a MacBook Pro?

3) Is there a quality loss, or any other pitfalls one should be aware of when projecting a Quicktime movie from the desktop?

4) Is projecting a DVD better in the long run?

Thanks,

Dan
Re: Projecting Quicktime Movie from MacBook Pro
July 28, 2009 11:53AM
The quality won't be great, but since this is just SD stuff, it probably won't be that much worse than proper projection.

The thing to watch out for is gamma. Do a test, and make sure the chain from laptop to screen has the proper gamma on it. If not, everything will look too washed out.

And yes, projecting from DVD is definitely better in your case. Given that your format is perfectly DVD-native, you'll get results that are better, or at least perfectly equivalent, to projecting off a laptop with zero setup required.

July 28, 2009 11:57AM
DVD is best usually but if you play a QT file try both Full Screen and Present Movie to see what works best. Also go into the Display prefs and mess with the Color tab. Often the projector picks a more "darker' look than you might like

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 28, 2009 12:11PM
Great feedback. Thank you!

Sounds like burning a DVD-R may be the way to go for tomorrow.

Dan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics