removing digital noise

Posted by Laurie 
removing digital noise
July 29, 2009 01:27PM
I was filming at DVCPro 50, 720, 24p and I accidently had the gain on medium. This was too much. Now I have a little bit of digital noise on my footage. It's not terrible, but it's enough to be annoying. What would you recommend?
Re: removing digital noise
July 29, 2009 01:35PM
too much too soon plugins has a noise reduction plug in. Its free but you really should donate some money if you like it

[www.mattias.nu]

There is also DE: Noise

[www.revisionfx.com]

works very well

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 29, 2009 02:15PM
i haven't tried DE:Noise,

but i am currently using Neat Video

[www.neatvideo.com]

which also works very well.

nick
July 29, 2009 04:59PM
DE:Noise works really well.

My new favorite is Video Purifier by Innobits. It can do more than just remove noise (deinterlacing, scaling).

-Dave
July 31, 2009 07:41AM
Thanks so much for your advice. I will check theses all out and make the leap in purchasing one. I downloaded the sample for neatvideo already. Wow want an improvement.
September 17, 2010 05:00PM
Innobits' Video Purifier does wonders to noisy video, especially when it must be compressed for DVD release, etc. But I find Purifier to have two limitations in its treatment of video. One limitation is that it clips Y' values at 235 in 8-bit (or at 940 in 10-bit). The other limitation is that it doesn't maintain 10-bit fine gradations. It's as if Purifier converts the 10-bit to 8-bit, does its thing in 8-bit, and converts back to 10-bit. There might be workarounds to the first limitation but not to the second one.

I've written a small report on the 10-bit problem including sample clips for checking if Purifier behaves the same on your system.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
September 17, 2010 07:29PM
I second Neat Video. But iy costs $200, if I recall correctly through a fog of Vodka and pixels.

Harry
September 17, 2010 10:17PM
You can also try the degrainer in AE.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 17, 2010 11:04PM
I just worked on the BETA Test team for Red Giant's latest gem...Magic Bullet Denoiser:

[www.redgiantsoftware.com]

FCP / AE $99

Kills noise in a few clicks. Tell 'em Joey Morelli sent you grinning smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 17, 2010 11:23PM
Harry
I second Neat Video. But iy costs $200, if I recall correctly through a fog of Vodka and pixels.

no just $99
or $49 for the "home" version (which is 8-bit rendering only)

dii read that Magic Bullet Denoiser only works on progressive material?
so while it might be good for some low-light noise,
would not a solution for cleaning up old VHS or other video sources.

nick
September 18, 2010 02:21PM
Since the OP is inquiring about / cleaning up 24p (progressive) footage, Denoiser is a VERY efficient inexpensive solution for her IMHO. I recommend it based on my personal tests done with the plug-in on 720p (also progressive) footage. STUNNING results. In the examples I have posted below, the footage was captured incorrectly and introduced grain / noise into the footage. Here are 2 short examples I personally created:

BEFORE (RAW - untouched footage):

www.digidojo.net/tut_stuff/denoiser_5994_RAW_H264.mov

AFTER (Denoiser / Magic Bullet Looks applied & tweaked):

www.digidojo.net/tut_stuff/denoiser_5994_DENOISER_after_H264.mov

September 25, 2010 08:53AM
To my eyes, grafixjoe's example with Magic Bullet Denoiser has an artificial, over-crispened look. Denoiser depends heavily on contraposing softening with sharpening. Red Giant posts an excellent Denoiser tutorial. Tellingly, the tutorial is almostly completely about techniques applicable to a single frame. Innobits' Video Purifier is a completely different animal. Its anti-noise processing does no softening, except as an option, and no sharpening at all. Purifier is pretty effective against sizzly video noise while preserving the naturalness of the image -- nobody's freckles are erased and there's no "National Geographic" look. Despite my gripes about Purifier, it has some advantages.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
September 27, 2010 11:17PM
dcousin is over-analyzing...my posts are compressions of a compression (H.264 from a DVCProHD). Pretty darn free of noise for 2 clicks I would say. There are many parameters to tweak to taste so that is by no means all there is. My raw footage came out amazing and my client loved it so that's all that matters smiling bouncing smiley

Open thee mind and see what can be. There's more than one way to do ANYTHING.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics