Marker issue

Posted by Shane Ross 
Marker issue
August 07, 2009 03:03PM
Yes, even I get stuck sometimes...

So, my assistant is taking master clips and breaking them up into subclips (something we always do), and then adding markers to those subclip that paraphrase what the interview subject is talking about.

She was happily marking along when...it suddenly wouldn't let her do it. Not by pressing M, not by going to the menu and adding them. It said something about the clip being locked. So she restarted the computer. She tried it again...no error, but she still couldn't add markers. She opened another clip and added markers all over the place...no problem. Just this one, she couldn't do it.

So she trashed preferences, restarted and...still can't. Any clue?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: Marker issue
August 07, 2009 03:12PM
What happens if you "batch export" that clip and bring that back into FCP?

www.strypesinpost.com
August 07, 2009 04:12PM
[.it suddenly wouldn't let her do it. ]

Nice puzzle. Any idea what the marker count was when it locked her out of the subclip?

Was she adding color markers?

What happens if she travels through the master and marks that for interview, then subclips?

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Nudge a Canvas layer by subpixel with Command-Option-Arrows !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
August 07, 2009 04:17PM
>Was she adding color markers?

Somehow I was thinking that Shane would not be using the first release of FCP 7 on a paying project due to the inherent risks.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 07, 2009 04:26PM
There is a hard limit on how many markers you can have in a clip, but I don't remember what it is. I seem to remember it being not exactly huge, like 32 or something. Could that be it?

August 07, 2009 04:32PM
We are not using FCP 7 yet...multiple bay setup, and we are in the middle of 3 shows. And there is no hard limit on markers...I just added 62 to a clip as a test.

I'm thinking that the clip is corrupt somehow.

Having her redo the markers and copy and paste the text.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
August 07, 2009 05:01PM
>And there is no hard limit on markers

Ken Stone once mentioned 99 markers in a project, never tried that out myself (and never counted either).

www.strypesinpost.com
August 07, 2009 05:10PM
Well, we definately didn't go THAT high. Only had 22.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
August 07, 2009 05:15PM
I recall a Browser issue about how many items could be displayed in a Browser window, and I think it was markers. It was totally illogical but there it was, and prevented you from doing more when you reached the limit. And IIRC, the solution was to double click the bin you're working in to put it in a new browser window/tab, and then the limit was gone. Don't know if this applies at all, but worth a try.

Scott
August 07, 2009 05:41PM
Nope...that's not it. The issue is in the VIEWER, and the disclosure triangles are not turned down in the Browser, and there are only 18 items in the browser.

Good thought though.

My slav...er...assistant is on it. She made a new subclip and added new markers and copy/pasted the info from the old to the new.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
August 08, 2009 07:51AM
Once when I was creating a reel of 103 adverts and title cards, I created a sequence with 167 named markers - no problem.

The problem came when I exported it for use in DVD Studio Pro. The DVD spec has a 99 chapter limit. That meant I had to break my sequence into two and use endjump and previouschapter and nextchapter settings to make it seem like the sequence had more than 99 chapters.

To troubleshoot, I'd fire up the project in FCP 7 and export the marker list as text. Maybe there is some odd character or code in an earlier marker than has confused Final Cut.

If you don't have 7, you could export the clip as XML and have a look at the marker list in a text editor, search for "<marker>" and see if there's something up with the list. If not, you could import that XML into a new FCP document and see if you can add markers there.

@alex4d

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
August 08, 2009 10:41AM

The DVD spec has a 99 chapter limit.

That's what I was thinking of! Thanks for diminishing my stupid a little bit, Alex.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics