FLASH conversion for editing.

Posted by wolfskier 
FLASH conversion for editing.
August 12, 2009 09:59AM
FCP 4.2.2
OSX 10.3.9

My coworker uses Captivate to convert PC programs of our company's software operations to FLASH files. I used to use GeoVid Flash to Video Converter to change the Flash to AVI and it worked perfectly. After losing my hard drive, I installed the new GeoVid program which, unfortunately, now converts to dixV AVI which is unusable.

Then I tried iWiSoft Flash to QT converter. The conversions look good, and they import into FCP just fine. However, when outputing the quality goes down as much as 50% where the old AVIs remained sharp & crisp.

I tried several other FLASH to AVI conversion programs and all either 1) degrade the original to the point that is unusable or 2) use divX AVI.

It was previously suggested I change my capture setting, but it made no difference.

Anybody have any ideas how to get Flash movies into FCP?

Thanx!
Re: FLASH conversion for editing.
August 12, 2009 10:14AM
That might be the most convoluted workflow pipeline I've ever heard of. Flash? AVI? Divx? Third-party converters I've never heard of? No disrespect intended, but that's out there, man.

Dump all of it and get a copy of iShowU HD Pro. It's ridiculously cheap and feeds straight into Final Cut.

August 12, 2009 10:19AM
Jeff:

No offense taken...I'm with ya as far as convoluted! I'll try iShowu HD Pro. Someone else suggested Adshareit which works as well.

Thanx!
August 12, 2009 10:22AM
It appears iShowu is MAC based where are company's software that needs to be captured is PC based.
August 12, 2009 10:25AM
There's no practical difference any more. Just use one of the numerous virtualization products on the market, like Parallels or VMware.

(Not to nitpick, but it's "Mac," by the way. The acronym "MAC" means something else.)

August 13, 2009 10:22AM
Wolfskier,

The company I'm currently working for uses Captivate and Articulate to create their training material... no way of getting around it with another program when 300 users are creating materials. Unfortunately, since it puts it into a format that uses numerous files for playback, I have had to do screen captures of that... using Snapz Pro. Depending on your final output, it may be acceptable. Not really the right way of doing it but it works.

Steve

Steve

FCPX
FCP 7.0.3
Premier CS6

MBP Retina 2.6i7 16GB / iMac 27" 3.4i7 16GB
August 13, 2009 10:42AM
> since it puts it into a format that uses numerous files for playback, I have had to do screen
> captures of that... using Snapz Pro.

Aie-aie-aie. Sounds to me like your bosses are being pig-headed. This is an exceptionally inefficiently workflow. Having to go through the process twice in real time to get an editable video file?

Sounds to me like either the 300 users need to find a better capture software (such as using SnapzPro directly), or you need to find a way to edit the files they produce without going through yet another real-time screen capture.

www.derekmok.com
August 13, 2009 11:11AM
Oh Derek believe me!!!!!! The problem is this content also is part of the global Learning Management System and all of that is created in Articulate and Captivate. I just get the content for repurposing like for iPod use.

Oh and did I mention that they are still using office 2000?????? I am only 1 of 4 users allowed to use Macs in the organization and even then they have tried to force us all over to the PC world.... Ain't gonna happen ;-)

Steve

FCPX
FCP 7.0.3
Premier CS6

MBP Retina 2.6i7 16GB / iMac 27" 3.4i7 16GB
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics