FCS 3 may run on PPCs!

Posted by strypes 
FCS 3 may run on PPCs!
August 13, 2009 04:22AM
Okay, I haven't tested this yet... But whispers in the wind states that you can get FCS3 to work on a PPC, but you will need Pacifist to do the installation.

[forums.macrumors.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: FCS 3 may run on PPCs!
August 13, 2009 05:51AM
Not exactly new info Strypes but an interesting topic, aged or otherwise
I think the consensus seems to be that while large parts of the suite do still contain universal binaries, the point is that with official support now gone no one can be certain that all parts of the app will function correctly or at all on PPC hardware, especially newly coded functions. There are bound to be those who will instal it on their older hardware nonetheless but its no longer recommended practice.
August 13, 2009 07:13AM
Yea, it's not new. I'm not on FCP 7 yet, and i'm waiting for a more stable version and a couple of jobs to pay for this one.

I will be curious as to which PPCs can run it. Or if it will torpedo any machines. I'm pretty sure the avc functions will not work. But i'm surprised they coded the universal binary version.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 13, 2009 08:53AM

I will be curious as to which PPCs can run it.

None of them. You can tell by the "require Intel Macintosh" label on the tin.

Could you maybe get bits of it to run on an unsupported architecture by resorting to hackery? Sure, possibly. But ? why?

Complete and utter waste of time and energy.

August 13, 2009 09:21AM
"why?"

to save a few thousand dollars, i guess smiling smiley

but you'd REALY want to have those moving markers...

nick
August 13, 2009 09:25AM
I'd have to look long and hard ? I mean like dig between my couch cushions and everything ? to find a better example of the cliché "penny-wise and pound-foolish."

August 13, 2009 10:03AM
Waste of time on antiquated technology. You can bet the FCS Dev Team didn't BETA Test on PPCs so what's with the colossal waste of time & energy? Upgrade & move on or stay with what already works for you. If it ain't broke - don't fix it. If you need "moving markers", it'll cost you a few thousand to get 'em.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 13, 2009 10:15AM
I'm on a PowerPC as well, and I'm not expecting them to make FCP7 compatible. It's a six-year-old computer and it's more than paid for itself. I'd rather Apple spent its time and energy somewhere else -- on making software better, for example -- than try to make PowerPC-compatible software.

Besides, the bigger the job, the simpler the editing, a great deal of the time.

www.derekmok.com
August 13, 2009 12:26PM
It took less than a week for someone to find a hack to install and the new FCS on a PPC mac. Doesn't mean you should and have no idea about the performance, but the bottom line is you can do it.

The coders who frequent this forum probably know how to do it, but I suggest they not post the instructions here as it really is not productive for anyone considering the support issue and potential for failure.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 13, 2009 12:46PM
I'm actually more curious about the outcome than anything else. Is is merely the old parts of the software that still exist as Universal Binary? Clusters will probably be a little shakey.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 13, 2009 02:05PM

The coders who frequent this forum probably know how to do it, but I suggest they not post the instructions here as it really is not productive for anyone considering the support issue and potential for failure.

Exactly. That's why this thread is dangerous. This thread will incite those not ready to give up their PPCs to rise up and "hack their Macs"...giving rise to all kinds of fire & brimstone from an UNSUPPORTED SYSTEM.

I vote we delete this riotous thread immediately!! CHEERS!! smileys with beer

August 13, 2009 02:23PM
>That's why this thread is dangerous.

This forum is not for kids, we're all adults here, so anyone who wants to torpedo their own machine, go right ahead. It's just a bit of information, I don't think we need to censor it.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 13, 2009 02:41PM
One of my client companies installed their copy of Final Cut Studio -- which began life as FCP5, I think, and had been used with the Dual PowerPC G5 -- on their spankin' new Mac Pro. It was a sh*tstorm. I tried doing something dizzying simple like add a watermark (Title 3D text) onto a 20-minute Uncompressed 10-bit SD movie file and the software went nuts. Gave me two copies of the watermark (even though only one was in the timeline), refused to add a De-Interlace filter, refused to get rid of the text even after I deleted it.

www.derekmok.com
August 13, 2009 02:53PM
This thread is fine. People can hack away all they want. If all goes to hell then it's not our problem.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 13, 2009 02:53PM

This forum is not for kids, we're all adults here, so anyone who wants to torpedo their own machine, go right ahead. It's just a bit of information, I don't think we need to censor it.

It's a bit of information...from a Mod. When people are pinching pennies, they do whatever they have to do to stay with their current machines. Mods encouraging hacking by posting this info is dangerous IMHO. I just hope, like Mike says, nobody is crazy enough to post instructions. We will need to start a "Hacked PPC Café" troubleshooting forum for all those issues.

August 13, 2009 03:19PM
Knowledge is often dangerous. Nothing wrong about that.

>One of my client companies installed their copy of Final Cut Studio -- which began life as FCP5

I'm trying to recall when I ran FCS1 on an Intel.. Yea, i did, on an Intel quad, but it was 5.1.4. Were you running a 5.0.4? Or is it a PPC only version of it? You can check in applications, get info, and it should list whether it's PPC, Intel or Universal. Can't imagine why FCS1 will not work on a current MacPro.

Oh yea, I did, by mistake, install P2 CMS on a PPC. Panasonic had just switched it to an Intel-only version, and I was working on a new machine, popped it in, and didn't realize that it wasn't UB anymore (amazingly, there wasn't any prompt on the installation). It actually worked, but I was getting an error message in the console that there was an architecture clash with the DvcproHD codec that Panasonic provided with the software. Deleted that codec and everything was swell.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 13, 2009 03:30PM
I don't mind people hacking, as long as they take full responsibility for the consequences. If it doesn't work, don't try to go to a forum and expect the issue to be solved. Don't call Apple and expect them to help you. Don't run around screaming your head off blaming Apple that your project when to hell in a hand basket because you installed a non-recommended version on your PPC.

I made a Hackintosh...and when it acts up, I don't blame Apple. I know full well that I will have issues running that OS on a machine that I built out of PC parts for under $300...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
August 13, 2009 03:49PM
The only annoying part is that the hacker will invariably still come here looking for a solution to whatever FCS problem they're having. Only thing is that you'll be 6 posts in before they drop the bombshell that they're running it on a Hackintosh.

Grrr.

Andy
August 13, 2009 03:55PM
The only annoying part is that the hacker will invariably still come here looking for a solution to whatever FCS problem they're having. Only thing is that you'll be 6 posts in before they drop the bombshell that they're running it on a Hackintosh.

Thats OK, we just send them to Derek for appropriate punishment. He lives in Hollywood

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 13, 2009 04:38PM
I am sending ALL HACKERS to Strypes' home for Tech Support. Singapore, right? grinning smiley

August 13, 2009 04:55PM
It's hard to get them through customs, Joey...

www.strypesinpost.com
August 13, 2009 09:12PM
No it isn't...they all have very convincing fake papers.

August 14, 2009 05:00AM
Only problem I see is: some people go ahead and do this, then come back to this and other forums when all hell breaks loose as a result. And of course the last thing they'll actually admit to after we all waste our time trying to figure out the problem is- "Oh yeah, I did happen to hack FCP 7 to run on my G5/G4/PPC, but I'm sure *that's* not the problem..." Then it kind of does make this sort of thread dangerous, at least on a time wasted by mods and fellow users on this board type basis. Doesn't it? smiling smiley

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
August 14, 2009 05:55AM
They can swim over from JB ..... ahhh, that would be Johor Baru by the way, not James Brown
August 14, 2009 10:25AM
Generally people are asked what Mac, what OS, what version FCP, What version QT etc at top of thread when troubleshooting a problem. So thread doesn't get very long before we know the Mac has been hacked. Its not really a big problem. Can be, but usually isn't. It's all about education. The more we talk about it, the less people will do it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 16, 2009 02:01PM
Here's the one reason folks who poo poo this overlook for trying this -- I'm betting 99 percent of the folks who want to do this - do it only with Final Cut Pro

We have a perfectly good G-5 machine and the rest of our shop - Intel macs laptops for roadwarrior editing-- we upgrade all of those and then are stuck with a backward incompatible doorstop when we move projects back in house If we want to do any work on the PPC G-5 - we're out of luck - waste of a perfectly good cuts machine --

Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics