Pal to NTSC

Posted by maximoose 
Pal to NTSC
August 15, 2009 04:26PM
I've have a short film on a PAL mini DV cassette. I need to output it as an NTSC QT for DVD. There is no conversion place arownd my area. I wonder if there are some other alternatives.
Tips are welcome
Re: Pal to NTSC
August 15, 2009 06:06PM
I'm assuming that when you mention "film", you shot it progressive.

If so, duplicate your QT movie, drop that into Cinema Tools, conform it to 23.98 fps. Then drop that into Compressor, select 10 bit Uncompressed NTSC, change frame rate to "current", go to the frame controls tab, select "best" for resizing. Once that is done, reimport the QT file into Compressor, drop a DVD preset, go to the Geometry room, crop off 2 lines off the top and 4 lines off the bottom to get your frame size to 720x480 (actually, since it's progressive, you should be able to go 3 and 3).

You will now have a 24p DVD that is NTSC compatible.

Do a short test to see how that looks, as I haven't done software based standards conversion for quite a while.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 15, 2009 11:09PM
Cinema Tools is the fastest, simplest way to change the frame rate.
you get a clean on-to-one conversion,as al that s happening is the film is now playing slower.

you should be aware of the downside, though which is that.... the film is now playing slower.
AND the audio pitch will go down.
nobody other than those intimate with the film will notice.

as for Compressor:
i reckon two trips though compressor is not the simplest approach.
you can do all the compressing in one go.

bring the (now 23.98fps) into compressor,
apply the Best DVD 90mins and under setting.

in the inspector's frame control pane,
you can still change resizing to "Best"

nick
August 16, 2009 09:25AM
The CT trick works great. Just be sure to de-interlace your 50i PAL to 25p if necessary first, then you'll get a practically perfect, if 4% too slow 23.98fps movie on the output, and it's fast, as it's just adjusting a bit of quicktime metadata.

For music videos or sound pitch conscious material, you may have to re-time the audio so that it does the same 4% too slow, but without altering the pitch of the music.

Otherwise, if you're starting with real 25p, my converter pack will do a 25p to 60i with a modified pulldown and that looks really good also, and no pitch shift or negligible 1000/1001 pitch shift depending upon mode choice.

Graeme
August 16, 2009 01:56PM
Graeme's being modest - his converter plug in ROCKS -- we used it to go from PAL to NTSC and the other way around for a documentary in Zambia -- worked like a charm and - as he said - virtually no noticable pitch or speed change -- well worth the investment.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
August 16, 2009 07:22PM
if you are in Europe, just ship it to US, the conversion is automatically

just kddin

its sunday night, it's been a looooong week....

maximoose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've have a short film on a PAL mini DV cassette.
> I need to output it as an NTSC QT for DVD. There
> is no conversion place arownd my area. I wonder if
> there are some other alternatives.
> Tips are welcome
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics