What do I need to upgrade my System for the new FCP

Posted by kjoske 
What do I need to upgrade my System for the new FCP
August 18, 2009 06:57PM
Can I upload my system to operate the new FCP? What will I need to do? I currently have FCP 5.

I am on a Mac OSX
Version 10.4.11
Processor 2 GHZ PowerPC G5
Memory 512 MB DDR SDRAM
Machine Name: iMac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac8,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.5f1
Re: What do I need to upgrade my System for the new FCP
August 18, 2009 08:36PM
Technically you can't. You need an Intel based Mac, and yours is PPC.

August 19, 2009 03:22AM
You need a Mac Pro. In other words, an upgrade to a whole new system.

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
August 19, 2009 07:26AM
But if you have the money it is sooooooo worth it - the difference in speed of the Intel Macs coupled with the sheer loveliness of FCS3 is a far more satisfying editing experience and if you work out how much time will be saved by the extra speed of renders and file based outputs then you can work out if the cost is worth it for yourself.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
August 19, 2009 01:24PM
To all of the above thank you. I was saving my money for a new IMAC the one with 1TG 3.06 GHZ 24" screen at the University bookstore, I am a graduate student, but then I read where MAC OSX Snow Leopard is the latest software and it has not shipped with the IMac Computer yet so I didn't want to spend every penny I had on an "older" outdated IMAC, I wanted to wait for them to ship with MAC OSX Snow Leopard. I know that you can get an inexpensive upgrade when it comes out but from my perspective its best to buy it the way you want it to begin with. I can't afford to pay an extra $900 for more memory.
August 24, 2009 11:09AM
Imagine my disappointment when I read this thread and realized I am in the same predicament. I'll be needing a system upgrade, too. I bought my last system from ProMax and have been very pleased with its performance. (Although, with 6.5 gigs of RAM, I thought some things would work a little better, but that's a different complaint for a different day.)

I shoot and edit a weekly, half-hour TV show, but I also produce whatever else comes my way including music videos, training videos, commercials, events, etc. Right now I shoot and edit DV, but I have been shopping around for a decent HD format and I am leaning toward AVCHD (to get my HD feet wet).

Can anyone make any recommendations where I can look for good prices and quality service & products? Of course budget is an issue. Is there a solution in the $5,000 and under category? My wife thinks I should go with a laptop. Anybody agree?

FCP Ver. 5.0.4

Robert Faust
Faust Video Productions

Power Mac G5
Model: PowerMac7,3
CPU: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
2 CPUs
CPU Speed: 2.7 GHz
Memory: 6.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1.35 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.4f1
August 24, 2009 07:45PM
I tried producing videos with my G4 Laptop. It was a disaster. It gets too hot and it does not have enough RAM memory. Actually, I was surprised to hear you say that 6.9G of RAM memory was not enough. How much would you recommend. I have been working with 512K which is why I'll be so happy to get more RAM memory. I'm a grad student and produce a lot of 5-7 minute educational/training videos for school classes/projects. My input video has been 1080i but of course when I finally render and compress and put it into a DVD I understand that mpeg-2 is the only format that DVD Studio Pro accepts/outputs? I am self-taught, learn as you go producer! I have a IMAC G5 and a G5 tower, the IMAC has been great -- slow but great.

I went to your site and saw some of your videos, they are good.
What compression rate are you using?
For youtube everyone told me H264 was the best but mine doesn't turn out too good.
Also, why are you using 3/4 ratio and not 16/9 you know youtube accepts 16/9?
Also, I wanted to input H265 into my DVD Pro 4 but I have been told that I cannot and when I have tried I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.

Also, you know that Michael H. from this site produced a wonderful Flash Video Player which will play 5 videos, it is a free download and it can make it possible for you to put 5 of your demo videos on the web giving the user control to play one at a time. He also wrote a wonder tutorial on how to use his template. You might check it out. Its on the Flash (Adobe) site. I have found him to be one of the BEST persons to explain technical things to non-technical persons.
August 24, 2009 08:02PM
This thread seems to be all over the place. Don't take the thread to compressor. Ask compression questions on the Compresion forum.

If you've been working with 512K of ram I'd be surprised. Perhaps you are confusing ram with drive space? Bottom line, you sure do not need 6GBs of Ram to do what you want to do. And Ram is cheap as long as you aren't talking about 2 4GB sticks.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 25, 2009 09:52AM
I love having 6.5 Gb of RAM, but I guess my performance expectations were higher because I went from using DPS Velocity on a Windows NT platform with virtually no RAM to a Mac. I generally keep more than one application open at a time and sometimes the system drags more than I would expect.

Sorry about the thread getting off-topic, but since you asked kjoske:

If the clip I am exporting is four minutes thirty seconds or less then I just export a QuickTime Movie, Current Settings, Self-Contained. If the clip is 4:30 up to ten minutes then I export using QuickTime Conversion. Under OPTIONS I select:

Compression Type: H.264
(under Motion section) Frame Rate: Current
Keyframes: Every 24 frames
Frame Reordering is checked
Compressor Quality: High
Encoding: Best

Export Size Settings:
Compressor: Native, 320x240

Sound Settings
Linear PCM
Stereo (L R)
48.000 kHz
Quality: Normal
Linear PCM Setting: Sample Size 16 bit

Prepare for Internet Streaming is checked and Fast Start selected.

Robert Faust
Faust Video Productions

Power Mac G5
Model: PowerMac7,3
CPU: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
2 CPUs
CPU Speed: 2.7 GHz
Memory: 6.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1.35 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.4f1
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics