SAVING FCP FILES ON EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES
August 18, 2009 08:41PM
Mac OSX Version 10.4.11
Processor 2 Ghz Power PC G5
Memory 512 MB DDR SDRAM
IMac G5
Final Cut Pro 5
DVD Studio Pro 4

I have made several FCP projects and I have captured and logged the video to individual external hard drives (LACIEs) now when I try to open one of the FCP files from i.e. LACIE 1 the computer gives me a message that the FCP file cannot open because I have a duplicate serial number on another network. I am the only user on my computer. I only have ONE FCP.

Also it gives me the messages that I need to reset my scratch disks so I try to set the following Scratch disks

Video Capture
Audio Capture
Video Render
Audio Render

to the LACIE which the specific FCP and captured and logged video is maintained.
My FCP file will open with the message (duplicate serial number on another network) and then a message says there have been changes to your movie file do you want to save them if I click yes the FCP file quits; if I say no the FCP files quits and I can't work on the files either way. Also even though the FCP file appears to be open the only way in which I can get to the System Settings is if the (the messages that I need to reset my scratch disks) appears and then I can only get to the Scratch Disk. I only have one FCP movie file on each of three different external hard drives so there is no duplicate FCP files.

Also I don't understand when setting the scratch disk do I set it to LACIE 1 or the name of the FCP file in LACIE 1 or the FCP work file in LACIE 1? I am at a standstill I cannot work on ANY of my FCP files in any of my LACIEs and/or directly from my internal hard drive and desktop.

Please help.
Re: SAVING FCP FILES ON EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES
August 18, 2009 08:45PM
Is it a pirate copy of FCP? Anyone else using the same serial number on the internet could take precedence over your copy if it is, or if the serial number had been 'appropriated'..

August 18, 2009 08:46PM
By the way, if this is the case, the problem is nothing to do with the scratch disks, its that FCP won't run if it detects another copy on the network. That's why it keeps quitting.

August 19, 2009 01:27PM
No absolutely not, I purchased it brand new and still have the box and everything it came with along with the receipt. Would it help if I reinstall the entire package again. i.e DVD Pro 4, FCP5, Motion 2? I have all of the original disks.
August 19, 2009 01:40PM
I am not on the internet when I am working on my FCP files. So I don't really know what network (duplicate serial number on another network) the message is talking about and I am only working with one LACIE external drive at a time. Also I am the only user of the computer. Is there another way I can take care of the (duplicate serial number on another network)? I can't even open FCP from my own desktop hard drive. I think the issue is going to be with the system and scratch disk to respond to the FCP file I am working with.

As a process of elimination, at the point I am now HOW can I just open a new FCP file working from my computers own hard drive and set the FCP system parameters and scratch disk to respond to the new FCP file?
August 19, 2009 02:26PM
Uninstall your FCS then reinstall it from scratch - updating it from the software update and remember to run repair disk permissions using disk utility once it is all done.

Then restart the Mac and try again. It sounds a bit fishy to me so I can only guess that it was a bad install.

Then read the manual on setting up a project - this will tell you exactly how to set your scratch disks and how to open projects.

Funnily enough this is what most manuals instruct you to do - and yet I am consistently surprised at the amount of people wasting their time asking the basic questions here!

To uninstall FCS you can download FCS remover and remove EVERYTHING before you reinstall.

[www.digitalrebellion.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
August 19, 2009 04:48PM
Slowly but surely I am figuring things out through the process of elimination. My FCP + DVD files will open with the message (duplicate serial number on another network). I "THINK" the message was based on the fact that while I was working on my IMAC, I also have a G5 Tower that I was using to compress video on. I think the airport card was picking up the signal, I did not even know that my airport card WORKED. By accident I turned off my G5 Tower and my IMAC and then I only turned on my IMAC and DVD Studio Pro 4 "OPENED" without the message.

I am probably one of the few persons who have actually read the books which come with the software in their entirety - word by word - page by page. The problem is they are hard to understand and even when you read them and re-read them its hard to understand what they are saying. I am a self-taught FCP person.

Yes, I read the Viewing System Settings but it does not tell you what the setting for the scratch disk relate to specifically, do I set it to LACIE 1 or the name of the FCP file in LACIE 1 or the FCP work file in LACIE 1?

Thank you for your help.
August 19, 2009 05:03PM
Ah so you do have another Mac on the network!

Well yes that is the issue that Jude pointed out.

If you want to set the scratch disk - simply choose the LaCie Disk it will put the folders

Audio Render Files
Autosave Vault
Capture Scratch
Render Files
Thumbnail Cache Files
Waveform Cache Files

On the root of the disk

or choose the Final Cut Pro Documents Folder on the LaCie Disk if there is one.

Some people make separate scratch folders for each project but I don't see that it's necessary as you will have the separate project folders within each of the folders above as long as you save your project before you create or digitise any media.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
August 20, 2009 10:24AM
OK thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics