Upcoming QT 10 and FCS 3?

Posted by Hauffen 
Upcoming QT 10 and FCS 3?
August 22, 2009 02:41PM
I believe having read somewhere that the upcoming QT 10 (Snow Leopard) will invalidate the QT Pro features we now use with Final Cut Pro. Any of you know better? I'll appreciate any info.

Alberto
Re: Upcoming QT 10 and FCS 3?
August 22, 2009 03:03PM
I think I've read somewhere that some or all of the QT Pro features are being folded into the regular version of QT you get included with Snow Leopard, but I don't see how that invalidates anything.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
August 22, 2009 03:34PM
Thanks, Noah.
What I meant was that the current registration key to the pro features won't work on QT 10. I hope such key won't be necessary in the new QT, that it doesn't have grayed features as it's been with QT Player.
Alberto
August 22, 2009 03:37PM
That's always true. Quicktime Pro license keys have never applied across major versions.

August 22, 2009 04:10PM
But an update was provided for the current version of the pro apps that included the QT pro license for the new version of QuickTime. In the past this has not applied to older version of the pro apps software, if I remember correctly, prompted considerable wailing and gnashing of teeth.
August 22, 2009 06:53PM
From what I've read, when upgrading to Snow Leopard it will keep QT 7 around if you have a Pro license registered. I'm assuming this is was a consideration for us FCS users. If you install 10.6 fresh, QT 7 is an optional install.

From AppleInsider re: recent builds of 10.6:

Although Rosetta and Quicktime 7 are both included on the Mac OS X 10.6 installation DVD, both are designated as optional installs by default. However, if Mac OS X 10.6 is being installed on a Mac that contains a registration key for Quicktime 7 Pro, the installer will install Quicktime 7 automatically.

As noted above, there is no QT "Pro" with version 10 (aka "X"winking smiley forward. Or at least that's how I understand it.

- Justin Barham -
August 22, 2009 10:27PM
That trigger a silly question for me , if you buy a Mac Pro on another Mac of course he will come with Snow Leopard only but will he have both QuickTime 10 and QuickTime 7 pre-installed ....

If not , will the Final Cut Studio 3 have version 7 and install-it , if not will Final Cut Studio 3 ask to insert the original Mac install disc and install QT 7 , you know i hope this will get answer from Apple because it may trigger a lot pain to many peoples .... I see a bumpy transition for some of us ...

PRODUCTION D. GOYETTE
TOURNAGE / MONTAGE VIDÉO CORPORATIF
DISTRIBUTION DVD / BLU-RAY / WEB
[www.productiondgoyette.com]
August 22, 2009 11:07PM
Why would anyone want to validate something that does not exist yet? That crystal ball is around here somewhere...

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 22, 2009 11:12PM
I'm sure Apple has thought this all out ahead of time. If they can get us from one totally different processor architecture to another relatively painlessly, finding a way to go from QuickTime 7 to QuickTime 10 shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe FCS 2009 doesn't need QT Pro? Maybe it will work with only QT X? Maybe we'll be able to download QT for years to come? I don't know, but I'm guessing we'll be just fine.

If reports are to be believed, Snow Leopard will be out within a week from now. We'll find out how it works quickly after that happens. Being inherently geeky, I'm anxious to see how Snow Leopard and FCS play together. But I'm not crazy enough to jump in there first. winking smiley

- Justin Barham -
August 23, 2009 12:36AM
"I'm sure Apple has thought this all out ahead of time."

Now there is a presumption.

"If they can get us from one totally different processor architecture to another relatively painlessly"

I guess you didn't see the the brouhaha that rose up when it was announced that the recently released version of FCS was Intel only, despite the fact that Apple said five years ago that the PowerPC was dead and displayed ceremonially in a coffin at Macworld.

"Maybe FCS 2009 doesn't need QT Pro?"

No version of Final Cut has ever needed the QuickTime Pro player. It came as a bonus. You can strip out the QT license and FCS will work perfectly. The only thing that's pro in QuickTime Pro is the player. Nothing else is added into QuickTime. Installing Final Cut adds a great deal to QuickTime, including many codecs only available to pro apps users, but these aren't available to other users simply by getting the pro player.

It'll be fun to see what happens with the new OS, the new QT, and the new FCS. The tech specs do say 10.5.6 and QT7.6 or later, which I guess includes 10.6 and QT X.
August 23, 2009 02:57AM
Tom Wolsky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It'll be fun to see what happens with the new OS,
> the new QT, and the new FCS. The tech specs do say
> 10.5.6 and QT7.6 or later, which I guess includes
> 10.6 and QT X.

Well there you go.

> No version of Final Cut has ever needed the
> QuickTime Pro player. It came as a bonus. You can
> strip out the QT license and FCS will work
> perfectly. The only thing that's pro in QuickTime
> Pro is the player. Nothing else is added into
> QuickTime. Installing Final Cut adds a great deal
> to QuickTime, including many codecs only available
> to pro apps users, but these aren't available to
> other users simply by getting the pro player.

Never realized that. I always assumed, like many, that I had to install it for some reason. Not bothered by it then as I haven't used QT for anything other than viewing and a quick properties check since Compressor came out.

- Justin Barham -
August 23, 2009 09:54AM
QT Pro functions always had been free as long as one did know a bit of AppleScript, Automator etc.
There were free scripts on the Apple site how to work with standard QT and AppleScript which even went above the Pro functionality.
For those 'lazy' ones Apple offered the Pro version.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
August 23, 2009 08:11PM
ARghs... Talking about applescript/automator... I'm trying to create a folder action to resize a bunch of pictures to square pixels, and it keeps keying in the numbers wrongly (1024 becomes 11002244, or it crashes).

www.strypesinpost.com
August 24, 2009 02:51PM
Snow Leopard available this Friday. Update the LAFCPUG Store Michael!

- Justin Barham -
August 27, 2009 10:06PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics