Getting rid of letters from video

Posted by DM 
DM
Getting rid of letters from video
August 30, 2009 08:27PM
I've been asked to remove an apostrophe from an existing video logo. The format is DV.

Example:

the word is EMERGENCY !
It is white lettering on a red background.

I need to remove the apostrophe but it's part of the video already that was re-imported into my system. I have no way to get to the text. I don't have access to the original composite file as it's long gone.

I tried the crop tool and image/wireframe. I cropped down onto just the apostrophe itself. I tried
Effects/Video Filters/Image control/tint.
I tried to change the tint of the apostrophe to red, trying to sort of mask the white symbol into the red background.
However, the whole word emergency also changed tint. Even though I cropped the handles very tightly around just the apostrophe.
Anyone have any other suggestions here? I know this method works for color correcting small areas of an image without affecting the whole thing.

thx
FC suite 5.1.4
Re: Getting rid of letters from video
August 30, 2009 08:35PM
Paint it out in Photoshop for one frame, then mask and paste over the whole video. If the shot moves, use Motion to track it around.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
August 30, 2009 08:57PM
If the letter has a solid red background, you might try using color matte on the video track above, then crop and feather (go to motion tab of viewer for feather). Use eyedropper on canvas to match the color matte to the same color as text background. If there is a motion, this may not be a suitable method.
DM
August 30, 2009 10:39PM
thx for the replys. Oh yes, of course there is motion. The word starts small and fly's out at you from the center until it fills about 1/8 of the screen high and full width.
Lovely eh?
August 31, 2009 04:36AM
Send to Motion

"Draw" a mask around the sign you want rid off (first frame)

go to Library/Behaviors/ Shape and drop the "Track Points " behaviors on the mask
Analyze... voilà !

you can also draw a shape and color it same red with the color picker from the Apple wheel

(same "Track Points " procedure)

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
August 31, 2009 08:26AM
Let me suggest to try the free filter Clone; it emulates the clone tool in Photoshop. It may paint over a rectangular area of each frame and copy from another area of the same size (source and destination centers and sizes may be keyframed to follow motion) from the same frame or from a different frame of the same clip.

Piero
August 31, 2009 10:28AM
So is this word and background full frame? Does it transition to shots on either end?

One long standing, quick and dirty fix is to remake the animation, and transition to it a few frames before and after the existing piece.

-V
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics