Leopard and FCP

Posted by alexedit 
Leopard and FCP
August 31, 2009 07:50AM
Hi all -
Getting ready to install Snow Leopard, BUT I want to wait to hear reports from others that have installed it.
Any issues working with FCPro?
I hope not, since FCP7 is pretty new.

AlexR
Re: Leopard and FCP
August 31, 2009 10:24AM
Poke around here and other forums. There have been some reports of problems with some plugins and third party drivers not all being tested and ready.

I would suggest, as I always do, that you not install over your existing setup, but rather buy a new hard drive and build your system up from scratch. That way if you find that in your situation there are issues, a fast drive swap has you back to earning a living in less than five minutes.
August 31, 2009 03:29PM
Is there some feature in Snow Leopard you need to have?. If not, why not wait a bit and let someone else find all the bugs.

Ken Kessie
August 31, 2009 03:33PM
Because the human male, is not built that way I'm afraid.

grinning smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 31, 2009 03:37PM
That's right, Ken...let the guinea pigs roll in the slop until they hit a rock. I am waiting as is the company I work for.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 31, 2009 07:36PM
DON'T DO IT!!!! I was a fool and installed it and it was great for everything but FCS3. It brought it to a screeching halt. Granted, I'm on an older Quad Core 2.66 Ghz (10 gigs or RAM) but I had no problems whatsover prior to Snow Leopard. Maybe someone on the latest, greatest Mac might have a different experience but I can't imagine it would be a whole lot better.

After installing it, I was poking around a little bit, checking things out and then I returned to work. It opened fine, both FC and Motion, but when I opened a Motion project, I immediately noticed it was taking a very long time to load the media. I thought (or had hoped) it was just getting its bearings going after the install but I couldn't even get the playhead to budge. I switched over to FCP and it was the same thing. When I went back to Motion and tried to export a project that I had just completed, it was literally exporting it at 1 frame per 2 minutes. I thought it had locked up but when I came back to it again from FCP, it had moved to the next frame. After sitting there for 6 minutes, it exported 3 more frames. I stopped it and tried it a few more times with the same results. I tried rendering a 3 minute clip in FCP and it said something like 3 days. After an all-nighter, I called support and the gentlemen I spoke to said he hadn't had any other calls with this same problem but I reminded him it had only been released for two days at that point. When I spoke to support, it was the Sunday morning after I had already uninstalled it and re-installed regular ol' Leopard. What he thought might have been going on was that with FCS3 being a 32-bit program, Snow Leopard was trying to run it as a 64-bit program and suggested, if I decided to reinstall it, going to system preferences and clicking on FCP (I don't ever recall seeing that there, but ok) and telling it to run it as a 32-bit program. I'm on a PC now so I can check to see if it's actually there at the moment.

Anyway, that was my fun experience with Snow Leopard. Once I was back to Leopard, everything was normal and I was a happy camper again. I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences with upgrading to Snow Leopard. Especially with newer, better systems than mine. That's my two cents. Take it for whatever it's worth.
September 02, 2009 05:15AM
Hello I'm running FC3 on 2x2.8 Ghz Quad-Core and 15" MacPro all working very nicely. Although it has QT X it keeps QT 7 Pro as well but tucks it away in Apps/Utilities.
Both machines seem snappier also networking much more stable all my apps are working and printer drivers are fine.
I dont have any IO cards attached so cant comment on these.

thanks

Derek
September 02, 2009 01:29PM
Derek - but did you upgrade to Snow Leopard as well?
September 02, 2009 01:49PM
Now that you mention QT, I do recall the Apple tech asking if I had upgraded to the latest QT. I wasn't sure but would assume, if it was needed, it would have been included in FCS3 as Quicktime Pro was included in FCS2. I asked, if that was a factor, would it affect playback in the canvas, timeline, etc., and he said it might but wasn't sure.

I've completed the project I was working on but I'm still hesitant to try the upgrade again and working out the problems I experienced. I don't know if there's any benefits in FCS3 to upgrading to Snow Leopard. If there aren't any, I think I'm content with Leopard.
September 03, 2009 09:06AM
Yes sorry this is all on Snow Leopard

Derek
September 07, 2009 09:57PM
I'm running FCS3 (FCP7) upgraded to Snow Leopard. Everything is working fine including my Matrox MXO box output to a calibrated display. Rendering is as expected, no slow downs. I'm on a dual core Intel Mac Pro tower (end of 2007) with 7 GB of RAM and two video cards: ATI Radeon X1900 XT and a ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics