How do you secure & archive when working with native MXF ?

Posted by Francois 
How do you secure & archive when working with native MXF ?
September 22, 2009 03:31AM
Kinda survey thread

(this goes for any native editing with hard media shooting)

okay... many people want's to bypass converting to ProRes, many people want's P2 (or SxS) directly in the Timeline ! (or a copy of it) - be it for time saving, simplicity ...

. how do you archive it when project is over ?
. how do you relink to browser and sequence when re-editing the project one year after ?
Re: How do you secure & archive when working with native MXF ?
September 22, 2009 11:11AM
>. how do you archive it when project is over ?

I archive before I start editing! With P2, when I get back from the field I back up to TWO bare SATA drives. THen I import the P2 into FCP. If native, then I copy over the cards to my media drive. If LOG AND TRANSFER, again, to my MEDIA drive. When I am done editing, I backup all the OTHER footage that I don't have backed up yet, like music and pictures and graphics. I already have P2 backed up.

>How do you relink to browser and sequence when re-editing the project one year after ?

Fair question...I haven't done this yet. That actually bears testing.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
September 22, 2009 01:59PM
>many people want's to bypass converting to ProRes

You're probably talking about AVC Intra. For DvcproHD, you don't convert to ProRes. You work native.

> how do you archive it when project is over ?

i see this differently- archive means an archival format, like a DLT or LTO. Hard drives go corrupt, hard drives fail. Same with Shane, I would like all my stuff backed up and preferably archived, even before I start editing.

>how do you relink to browser and sequence when re-editing the project one year after ?

Not sure how FCP will access P2 a year from now, but for now (FCP 6, haven't tried 7 yet), mount all volumes in L&T, batch capture.

This part i haven't tried yet, and i haven't tried reconnecting clips en masse in Color either. Clips sent back from Color (up to 1.0.4) won't be able to relink back to the source media, as earlier versions of Color do not send back reel information.

However, if you need the color grade, you should have a saved version of the project, and make sure the original media which Color was grading on, is already online. Then select your media directory in Color and reconnect.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 22, 2009 02:06PM
There are third party options for accessing MXF natively, RAYLIGHT, MXF4MAC, Calibrated. But not sure how they'd reconnect if you needed to unarchive a project. That's why it bears testing.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
September 22, 2009 02:18PM
Yup. I'd be quite curious about the workflows as well. The one which creates reference movies (Raylight, I think), is a bit of a red flag. The other possible factor to look at regarding archival storage is that these are single vender proprietary systems.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 23, 2009 03:12AM
well this thread is about precisely that

People want to edit from the cards, (with what ever solution).
at least from MXF copied on hard drive

For anything else than fast delivery needed ... isn't there something childish about it ?

(it might not be the right word but you see what I mean)

I like my clips with same name in storage and browser (not esoteric numbers...) and easy to relink.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics