Recorded Computer Monitor flicker

Posted by lhdor12 
Recorded Computer Monitor flicker
September 30, 2009 10:56AM
I received some footage of a computer monitor, but there is a ton of screen flickering on the monitor only. How would you eliminate that in FCP?

it's DVCPro HD 1080 60i Vid Rate 29.97fps
FCP 7
Re: Recorded Computer Monitor flicker
September 30, 2009 11:56AM
You don't- that's a 'fix it in production' issue. Ask for a reshoot, don't use the shot or matte in a screen using Motion.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
September 30, 2009 11:57AM
Maybe somebody can suggest a trick to deal with this, but I'm not aware of any way. On-set playback is a special thing because the refresh rate of the monitors/projectors/whatever have to be sync'd to the camera(s).

Most people avoid the issue entirely by four-point- or planar-tracking the screen and compositing it.

September 30, 2009 12:09PM
It's a piece of cake to get it right with today's HD camcorders- most have a synchro scan/clear scan feature that lets you tee up the camera shutter to the monitor refresh rate. But yeah if the DP blows it, you're hosed in post.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
September 30, 2009 12:55PM

if the DP blows it, you're hosed in post.

This is priceless.
September 30, 2009 01:00PM
if it's a lockdown shot, easy...if there's movement...track it...either way you have to composite another screen over the flickering one.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 30, 2009 01:33PM
Tracking a monitor shouldn't be quite hairy- you should be able to do corner pin tracking and make sure nothing obstructs the points for the duration of the shot.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 30, 2009 02:59PM
If you have After Effects CS4, then you have Mocha, which is a planar tracker...and you do not have to worry about something passing in front of the screen. The tracker keeps on trackin' because it tracks SHAPES and not POINTS.

Rock N Roll.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 01, 2009 05:04AM
there is an FCP version of Mocha, too.

[www.imagineersystems.com]

nick
October 01, 2009 06:51AM
I had moderate success cropping and feathering, then using Joe's "frame blender" filter. Of course, you will lose detail when blending frames. Alternately, you might use the slip tool for V2, or just move it a frame up or down the track and change opacity to blend, and perhaps repeat on V3 with another shift. It was quite a while ago when I did this and it was a locked down shot. I may also have used FCP's flicker filter to average the fields.
October 01, 2009 07:42AM
too bad there wasn't a way to just delete frames in a plug in. Like be able to delete 10 frames every 30 fps to match the rythm of the flicker then be able to duplicate the the remaining frames, then blend the frames so the motion isn't dramatically jerky.
you all are probably looking at me like i have five heads but i'm just saying it would be nice spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
October 01, 2009 07:49AM
"delete 10 frames every 30... then... duplicate the the remaining frames"

the "Strobe" filter comes close to that!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics