how can I make the psd layers visible?

Posted by janbecker 
how can I make the psd layers visible?
October 01, 2009 09:57PM
I learned that you just double click it in the timeline and it would open its layers as tracks.
Doesn't work.

Thanks,

Jan
Re: how can I make the psd layers visible?
October 01, 2009 10:16PM
I don't know were you "learned" that, but you didn't "learn" it correctly. I'm going to guess you're talking about a multilayer Photoshop file that you imported into FCP and put into a sequence. If the PSD file is not a sequence it won't open as a sequence. What's the icon look like in the browser? Like a sequence icon? Like a graphics file? Where did this file come from? A PC? Is it 8-bit RGB?
October 01, 2009 10:18PM
maybe you don't have a layered PSD file?

that would look just like an FCP sequence.

so what IS happening when you double click?

nick
October 02, 2009 01:39AM
Well, I got this DVD tutorial from Creative Cow and it includes a PSD file for a project.
The guy in the tutorial double clicks it and it opens in two separate tracks.
It doesn't do it in mine. Maybe he uses an older version of FCP?
When I double click it opens in the viewer.

Weird. Maybe that's why the tutorial was on sale.

Jan
October 02, 2009 01:46AM
"What's the icon look like in the browser? Like a sequence icon? Like a graphics file?"

i wonder if you have to have Photoshop for this to work?
i've had it alongside of FCP for so long now, i don't know.

nick
October 02, 2009 10:01AM
You don't have to have Photoshop installed, but it's been a long-running issue that some Photoshop files simply don't import right -- they show up as single-layer clips.

I usually use one of two workarounds, and these do require Photoshop:

1. Resave the file in Photoshop with a new name, and check "Maximize Compatibility" when saving.

2. Create a new Photoshop file with proper settings, then drag all layers across. Save the new file with a new name with Maximize Compatibility.

www.derekmok.com
October 04, 2009 12:00AM
[some Photoshop files simply don't import right]

Agreed Derek -and a specific example:

When I only had Photoshop 5 (PC version), the .psd files it created only showed as single layer in FCP.

When I got Photoshop CS3 (Mac Version), not only did .psd files created in CS3 import into FCP as multi-layer but I could open and re-save the PC .psd files in CS3 and then they would import as multi-layer in FCP.

I've never tried with a later version of Photoshop on the PC so I'm not sure whether the issue is PC/Mac or Photoshop Version#.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics